Film Camera Week for June 2

Nice work with the Kentmere, Don. With this becoming more of an all-week thread we're not counting images so post as many as you want. Kentmere 100 (based on my limited experience with it) seems to have a bit less latitude in HC110 as compared to Ilford FP4+ or Plus-X. But I may experiment with it some more as it's one of the least expensive bulk films. Never tried it in Rodinal, though. You got nice tones in your images.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1516021143_2k17-055-012ces5bc4x6.jpg.e0a2506098ecda3826a062dd878b1f57.jpg Hello everyone. I am happy to see more people using the Kentmere emulsions, since they have treated me very nice in the last several years. In this picture, my Pilot gave me a range of six (6) f stops at various points, giving me "fits" on how to place everything with my Zone System exposure. Using the Obsidian Aqua, all Zones show up (with the tired eyeballs) and when scanned in the V600 several more Zones of grey emerge, both shadow & high lights. Pyrocat HD will yield the same long scale negs from either the 100 or 400 asa materials. IMHO, the grain of the 400 material in OA rivals that of 50asa films. Great fun these Kentmere materials. ! Aloha, Bill Fed-2 / Jupiter-8, Kentmere400 @ 250asa, OA & V600 scan
  • Like 2

Lovely image, AgBr. What were the tools and materials?

Many thanks! Well, the camera is a Hasselblad 205FCC with Planar 80mm f/2.8 lens. I am travelling right now, so I can't check my notes, but it was shot close to wide open, on Ilford Delta 400.

The camera was standing on its back, on the floor beneath the sculpture.

I don't process my negatives myself, so it is a great inspiration to see how you and other users exercise control over contrast and other qualities by varying development times and using different developers.

Best regards,

Peter

Great work, Peter. Delta 400, like most other conventional black & white films, is easy to develop and scan. If you expose a lot of film you could save a lot by processing it yourself. You don't even need a darkroom- either or changing bag or dark closet for loading film in tank.

On the way home from our hike at Pinecrest Lake I wanted to stop at the Jamestown railroad to buy some Thomas Train stuff for the Grandkids and try to get a shot of the No 3 movie star train. They bring it out on the weekends only.

It's hard to get a good angle at the train without getting a parking lot in the background or visitors standing around in the background. When the train was in the yard the engine is moved around to get ready for the next outing and you cannot cross the tracks for a different spot for obvious safety reasons.

721648253_No3.....jpg.296b8437015e73a7e511617678401c16.jpg

I shot 1 under and am happy with that. Arista 400 with my Mamiya.

• Like 5

Peter, you are missing 50% more fun by not DIY. . .it's a snap to learn. Aloha, Bill

Delta 400, like most other conventional black & white films, is easy to develop and scan.

Thanks to all for the nice comments, and yes, I can see the arguments in favour of DIY processing film. I have developed negatives on a few occasions, but really not that often. I think I have always been reluctant to get into this part of film photography because of the fear of messing something up in the process and ruining or severely damaging the images. You only get one chance for each roll of film, whereas once you have a good negative you can re-do and perfect prints as many times as you like (or as long as you have money to buy more paper + chemicals + have access to a darkroom). Other excuses are: my local lab guy does a good job and is fast. He doesn't scan negatives, but has teamed up with someone who does. I get a roll of film processed and scanned in 48 hours and pay 10€. If I were to DIY, I'd have to factor in the time I'd spend doing the work myself + buy a decent film scanner and, again, spend time scanning negatives. I would never be able to afford the kind of scanner used at the scan & print lab (Fuji Frontier SP-3000).

Best,

Peter

Peter, you're not alone. I also understand the arguments for home film development, particularly if you shoot a lot of black & white, but I don't, and would rather leave the work to a good lab. As much as I love cameras, optics, and taking pictures over the past 35 years, film development is actually one aspect of photography that does not particularly interest me, so perhaps I am unusual in that regard. Likewise, I find scanning tedious.

Dave

I probably would not have started developing b/w at home but the labs all closed. I tried digital and found it boring so i bought some b/w stuff and found it to be rewarding to do it all myself. Scanning medium format is pretty easy. It takes a few minutes to batch scan but i do not sit there. I start it and go get some coffee or do something else for a while and it is waiting for me when I return. Not much photoshop with b/w film which makes it easy. I scan with silverfast AE. Anyway its just for fun and just go about it the way you wish to.

Come on, everyone. Don't stop with just three images since we're doing this as a weekly thread. Really have seen some great work and look forward to seeing even more.

upload_2017-6-6_8-53-9.thumb.jpeg.705f1fa9e1d7be5f37e075fc8266b545.jpeg

Center of attention, Pentax ZX-7, 50mm f2.8 FA macro, FP4+, cropped about 50%

upload_2017-6-6_8-55-33.jpeg.cc781707c2cdf50a5d8bc5a13a34538f.jpeg

behind counter at diner, Rollei 35S, Ilford FP4+

Down to the last of the Pinecrest lake shots. I did not carry a tripod but was able to use the railing of the bridge to stabilize the camera. I think this one was at f22 and 1/15th of a second. I am not a big photoshopper type person so I did not remove the telephone cables.

flatpod........jpg.70f9b030bdba6049b7a70d6c8dc0ba49.jpg

• Like 3

A little off topic but in todays news some young guy fell into the Merced River while on the Mist Trail at Yosemite. They cannot find his body. As I mentioned earlier I am hiking Half Dome this Thursday and I am hiking the Mist trail as it's the route. I am not one to dangle over an edge and risk falling but my wife is having a Cow over the whole thing. Anyway I am not taking a camera because of the weight but I will be taking photos after the hike and the next day. The type of pictures will depend on my legs but on Friday I would like to hike back up to Nevada Falls for photos with my MF camera. I bought a roll of Velvia also to try that out along with my usual B/W.

Rick, Thank You for talking about your experience w/ Acros. Your Bronica shots show mid-tone separation that I've yet to obtain. I've wanted to love Acros, but I've not been able to unlock the goodness. 'Always contrasty, but for me - missing a mid-tone. I shoot alot of low light, so I wanted to enjoy the reciprocity - but not at the price of mids.

You're most kind in describing my shooting. The gear is good - way better at its job than I am. :)

'Hope the day has been good to you.

As I said in another thread I went to the Photo Fair in Newark CA this past weekend bought an orange Leica filter for my Summitar, another bulk film loader and a "new" Rollei 35S with the Sonnar 40mm 2.8 lens.

I loaded up a roll of Delta 100 to give it a try, just walked around the apartment building and took some shots in the evening sun, I tried to get dark and bright scenes and tried to use all the apertures and shutter speeds I could.

I am very happy with the way the came out, I think it may be a little over, I put one of those old 625's in it, I have a small stash.

Anyway, here are a few I got scanned and you will probably see more for the next week or two.

These were developed in HC110 Dil. B

69298011_Rollei35SDelta100branches.thumb.jpg.8ad855b23fef3a609773b807e22519bc.jpg

Edited by Don Harpold
  • Like 1