Used lightweight travel body-ATTL compatible?

buck_rogers1

I'm planning a long trip through South America. I'll stay pretty

close to or on the east coast and will mostly photograph people and

landscapes. I have an EOS-1 and a 420EZ speedlite. I don't like the

idea of hanging out with a huge heavy pro body that I really don't

need. What older eos bodies will work well with my flash and be less

disheartening to let go into the hands of a mugger? I'm not

interested in buying a new eos body because I don't use fancy program

modes (except when using flash, in which case I can't afford new

speedlites and body). I don't think that I really need ATTL but it

would be nice for bouncing. I will be shooting through 50mm and 24mm

lenses.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

How much manual exposure control do you want? Any cheap EOS Rebel or 1000 series camera is worth peanuts these days, and gives you a light-tight box. You lack direct control over metering modes and such, however.

If you want something sturdier with better manual controls that's still pretty cheap I'd look into a used EOS 10/10s or 100/Elan. These midrange cameras also balance slightly better with a 420EZ. Though not brilliantly - the flash tends to make them top-heavy.

Problem is, once you've grown used to an EOS 600/630, you'll love it, and it <i>will</i> be "disheartening to let [it] go into the hands of a mugger".<p>And, which owner of such a lovely beast is willing to sell it? Admittedly, you might get mine if you give me an EOS 1 Ds in exchange, but then I'll sell the 1 Ds to buy a D80 and get my EOS 600 back.

I also like the Canon EOS 630 or 620. They are so much more well built than the Rebels, and I know from experience they work well with the 420EZ.

It is bulkier than the Elan (and Rebel, of course), but it fits nicely in the hands. And it's not too heavy. They can be picked up in great cond. on the used market for a song. And, unlike Rebels, you have the metal lens mount and semi-pro features that could come in handy: reasonably high shutter speed, auto-bracketing, respectable sync speed, etc. Also, both have a lighted LCD panel for low-light settings, unlike some of the other EOS models of the 90's.

Most importantly, you won't be devistated if they're jacked!