Contax 645 Aperature Control Granularity

tom_thurston

What happens if I turn the aperature ring on a Contax 645 lens a little bit past the exact position of an f/stop? I know that the aperature readout in the viewfinder is digital, and I think it only displays aperatures in half stops. But is the actual control mechanism such that if I move the aperature ring slightly past a stop, that the actual aperature used will also be slightly past that stop?

Now that I think of it, what does the Pentax 645n do? (Or even, for that matter, what to 35mm SLRs like Nikon with an aperature ring on the lens do?)

My current cameras are a Mamiya 645 Pro and Canon Elan II. With the Mamiya, I can actually set the aperature anywhere I want between the stop dedents, and it works. With the Canon, I can only set the aperature to half stops, but I understand that if I the the camera in Tv mode, it will use aperatures in finer than half stops to precisely match the exposure.

Tom, You are correct. The Contax 645 digital display is in half stops, but you can make subtle corrections with the aperture ring if you so desire. They will not read out in your viewfinder, but the difference will be on the film. Also note that the stop detents are in full stop increments, but there is lots of room to make up your own f-stop. Frank