Turning now to the 40mm Distagons for Hasselblad

philip_dygeus2

Well, at least we agree on something. The 35mm format is way too elongated for my taste, especially when used vertically. Unfortunately it seems we are never going to see a full frame (6X6) square format digital camera. There was a time when Hasselblad used to tout the 'square advantage' in their advertising - something they have become strangely silent about.

The CFV16 is 39x39 mm, square with a 1.5x cropping factor. I use a CF60/3.5 as the "normal" lens. The cropping factor prompted me to buy a CF40 in order to obtain a reasonably wide angle FOV. Other than limitations on FOV, there is really no consequence to a cropping digital sensor.

MF has moved on, and non-square sensors are the new standard, with cameras that can easily be used in either orientation. The Hasselblad X1d is the harbinger of MF to come. The latest CFV50c digital backs were sold off at half price and discontinued.

I doubt that traditional CF lenses were able to get the most out of a 50 MP sensor.

The latest CFV50c digital backs were sold off at half price and discontinued. I doubt that traditional CF lenses were able to get the most out of a 50 MP sensor.

Couple of points.

1. The highly popular CFV50c back was never half price, it was introduced at $15,500 and a year later dropped into a promotion of $9,995 which is what I bought it at. According to a good source, they had to discontinue it in order to supply Sony 50MP sensors to the new X1D. The goal is to introduce a new version of it with an updated interface and some other niceties.

2. I use that back with CF and CFi lenses ( nearly identical in optical performance ) and they do extremely well, especially lenses like the 50 FLE, 60, 100 and 180. In going to a 100MP back, they might suffer a bit but I suspect that the 100 and 180 will continue to excel.

Most CFi lenses have the same optical formula as the CF version. I'm not surprised you don't see a difference. To see how it does at the pixel level, try shooting the sky on a dark, starry night. You'll get tracking with exposures as short as 10 seconds, but the tracks should be only one pixel wide.

Based on articles in Luminous Landscape, the digital-specific lenses used on technical cameras are needed for ultimate sharpness.

The latest CFV50c digital backs were sold off at half price and discontinued.

I doubt that traditional CF lenses were able to get the most out of a 50 MP sensor.

The fact is that Ed is about right regarding the price drop.

I personally bought my CFV50C back new, from a dealer in Scandinavia, when they sold of their stock of backs when it was discontinued.

And the price was about half of the original price.

Maybe not an official price from HB, butt still the actual price from the dealer!

Of course there is newer lenses that are better than my old lenses for my V-system and my 903SWC.

I have had an almost complete RZ system and also a AFDlll with many lenses together with some different P1 digibacks.

From this system I have printed photos up to 2 meters on the long side with out any problem.

Never any complaint from any customer.

And the lenses for my V-system is equal to the lenses from the Mamiya systems or better.

But I do prefer the signature of this older lenses with 50 MP backs

Which is very good for my wallet :)

I dread the day when I would need the ultimate resolution..

I would love a square sensor at lest 41 x 41 mm or a rotating sensor like in the old Leaf back.

The prototype 4116 they showed last year were very interesting, I want to say how I would develop it (or, "I will buy if"):

Square sensor 41 x 41 mm

Same flange as the classic V sistem and same and compatible bayonet so that old lenses can be used. (New buyer can start with the lenses they already own and later could buy the new line developed for the new reduced 41x41 format).

New line of lenses (autofocus or manual focus, you choose), starting with wide-angle.

Reflex or mirrorless.

Some basic TTL exposure system (like the 203FE) with aperture priority mode.