Anyone still using the Mamiya 645 Pro TL camera?

John Cater

I bought this camera, used, about 12 years ago but I've been away from medium format for about 8 years. I have a few questions that I hope someone on the forum here can help me with: 1) Is anyone still using Mamiya's pre-digital camera(s)? and; 2) can you recommend an excellent tech with experience in re-calibrating this camera? and; 3) where is a good place to by 120 film these days? and 4) who do you use to develop your 120 film and prints? Thanks for your time. Thanks, John

I would check out the camera thoroughly before putting any money into film John.<p>

I've had two 645 Supers and a ProTL go bad on me and become unuseable. Most common fault is the small plastic mirror rest cracking. Apparently this part isn't available any longer.<p>OTOH I have old metal bodied 1000S, M and J 645s that are working just fine. I'd recommend buying a 1000S rather than put money into an unreliable ProTL.<p><br>

I'm in the UK, so recommendations for repairers and film sources are a bit pointless. I also do my own B&W processing, and that's certainly the route I'd recommend for monochrome work.

Identifying where you are located would assist advice regarding a technician and to some extent advice also about film sales.<br><br>

I have two 1000s bodies and both continue to work fine (albeit a long time between uses) and I concur with the advice to have the ProTL checked for issues, damage and etc - the 1000s bodies seem to have been built much better, perhaps it would be money saved looking to grab a 1000S rather than seeking to repair the ProTL, if the Pro TL is in a poor state.<br><br>

Yes I process B&W Film and so B&W wet (darkroom) printing and also toning: I do not shoot colour film nowadays.<br><br>

WW

I'm in the UK too. I have a Pro (no TL). I buy most of my film (over the web) from Ag Photographic in Birmingham and FotoImpex in Germany. Shipping from Germany makes sense if I'm ordering enough.

I develop almost all of my own film now, but I have used Peak Imaging in Sheffield with no complaints.

You might enquire at Newton Ellis in Liverpool about service/repair. I haven't used them myself.

Sorry. I live in North Carolina, USA. Well, I have several thousand dollars in Mamiya lenses that I used with my 645 ProTL - some leaf shutter, some not. I prefer not to purchase more lenses. Is there a list of somewhere that shows which Mamiya lenses will work with which Mamiya cameras? Will the older Mamiya lenses work with any of the "modern" Mamiya cameras, including digital? By modern, I mean Mamiya cameras that have come out in the past 10 years.

Identifying where you are located would assist advice regarding a technician and to some extent advice also about film sales.<br><br>

I have two 1000s bodies and both continue to work fine (albeit a long time between uses) and I concur with the advice to have the ProTL checked for issues, damage and etc - the 1000s bodies seem to have been built much better, perhaps it would be money saved looking to grab a 1000S rather than seeking to repair the ProTL, if the Pro TL is in a poor state.<br><br>

Yes I process B&W Film and so B&W wet (darkroom) printing and also toning: I do not shoot colour film nowadays.<br><br>

WW

All lenses that fit the ProTL will fit and work with the older 1000S, 645M and 645J bodies. All you lose is interchangeable magazine backs - and the potential light leaks and poor focus registration that goes with them.

I've handled a variety of MF cameras and never seen such a poorly designed and made magazine and attachment system as on the plastic Mamiya 645s.

I have no idea about the "recent" AF or digital bodies. My encounter with Mamiya Supers and the ProTL was enough to make me lose faith in the company and the direction it was heading.

Funny but my Super and Pro bodies, both bought used, have never given me a nano-second of grief. Backs are light-tight, thanks to baffles that don't decay like foam-sealed RB and Bronica 645 and 6x6 backs. Stuck with plain prism finders over pricier and iffy-accurate metered finders. My only complaint pertains to the decibel level of the winder grips but the ergonomic improvement far outweighs the noise. Very affordable now and worth it as far as a budget entry into medium format. The difference between 35mm and 645 negatives isn't subtle. Have fun!

I just hope the plastic mirror rest on your Mamiyas doesn't crack then, nor the shutter solenoid work loose, nor the thin plastic mating faces of your magazines warp or crack, nor the claws that hold the back in place don't bend or stretch. All of which has happened to my placky Mamiyas. I hope your exceedingly good luck holds.

Foam light seals can be easily and cheaply replaced, as on the old metal-bodied Mamiyas. Spares for Mamiya Supers, Pros and ProTLs are almost non-existent.

Edited by rodeo_joe|1

And yet my craptastic Mamiyas, like many others, just keep on keepin' on. Seems exceptions don't always prove a rule when it comes breakdowns. YMMV, as usual. They came cheap and I'll happily shoot 'em till they break. No fan of the old heavy metal versions without film backs.

• 4 weeks later...
Why for heaven's sake would you not have the capacity to import a filtered photograph, since it doesn't have a catch date? Obviously you can! Lightroom does not require that date to import pictures. You may require it on the off chance that you need Lightroom to naturally make dated envelopes, yet that was precisely my point. Try not to make a big deal about dated organizers if Lightroom can't make them. You needn't bother with them. Envelopes are only compartments for pictures, you needn't bother with organizers to arrange pictures.

I bought this camera, used, about 12 years ago but I've been away from medium format for about 8 years. I have a few questions that I hope someone on the forum here can help me with: 1) Is anyone still using Mamiya's pre-digital camera(s)? and; 2) can you recommend an excellent tech with experience in re-calibrating this camera? and; 3) where is a good place to by 120 film these days? and 4) who do you use to develop your 120 film and prints? Thanks for your time. Thanks, John

I use my Mamiya 645 Pro-TL very rarely and I'm thinking about selling my equipment as I use my Digital equipment almost exclusively. I don't have a reference for a Tech repair, but you can purchase film from Home | Freestyle Photographic Supplies and get it developed at A&I: Quality Prints | Photo Books | Cards | Head Shots | Photo Gifts . A&I has mailers that you can purchase and they will process your B&W film using the C-41 process.