Sigmasuper zoom 50-500mm F/4-6.3

andy10

Hi does anyone has experience with this zoom lense from sigma.. I m

not very keen on buying non-canon lenses, but I am getting a vey low

quote for this used lens (around USD500).. I m getting tempted to get

this lens as I know I would never be able to afford a canon zoom or

prime reaching 500mm. How does this lens perform. I currently have

50mm 1.8, 28-135IS, 20mm 2.8, 70-200mm 2.8.. thanks in advance..

Don't know the lens...just the usual ideology that anything with that wide a range for that low a cost, is bound to be (I'm not going to use the word garbage) very average. From your other "haves" you are also already covered from 20-200MM. Why pay $500 for basically a 200-500mm lens?

But, also don't understand reasoning... if you have $500 to spend, you'd obviously you'd get to 400mm with a 2x converter on your 70-200 zoom, or (seen on ebay) there have been some 300mm f4L lenses in the $600-650 range -- again, you might look to find some money for a 1.4 or 2x converter?

If I were you, I would get the 2x TC for your 70-200 2.8 L. I have this lens, and its awesome. With a 2x I would guarantee you get better better quality image and almost the range, and you will spend less on the TC. As the previous poster stated, don't expect too much out of a zoom with that much range. With th eline up you have now, I would be willing to bet that when you used it once and got the results back you might be sick about the $500! Maybe even wish you had bought a 2x tC, and I am talking about the L TC that goes with these L telephotos.

thanks for your responses.. Actually I am going to buy a 2XTC II in another one months time.. I probably am just toying with the idea that whether its better to buy a lens which give me 500/6.3 (I can still AF with EOS 3) or use 70-200/2.8 with stack up 1.4XTC and 2XTC. Just wanted to see if somebody had any experience with this sigma lens. according to sigma website its a APO EX RF HSM Lens..

I did a lot of research on the web last year before buying a telezoom.

From what I learned, the optics of the 50-500 and Sigma's other lens, 170-500, are very good, actually - in the same calibre as the Canon 100-400. The lens is quite slow, and that + the lack of IS, is going to be its limiting factor. Still, if you can brace it or use it with a tripod, it seems like a very good buy.

Vandit

(I ended up with the 100-400 for the IS)

Here's a review from www.vividlight.com. I would take their review seriously becuase big names like Moose Petterson writes articles for this web site. It's also dedicated to nature photography so you know they have a good eye.

here's the link http://www.vividlight.com/articles/413.htm

I played with it and feel the build is good. Haven't shot any film with it yet. It's not as nice as my 100-400 IS though :^)

I have used the lens many times. It is remarkably good, for a 10x zoom. It is reasonably small (for a 10x), fairly light (for the # of elements), has an excellent collar (built-in, no additional charge - like some lensmakers I know of), works well with Sigma 1.4x (I havent tried the 2x on it), etc., etc. Though, judging from your equipment list, it might not be the lens for you; you already have quite a bit of nice gear it would duplicate. If you want reach, have you considered the Sigma APO 400mm f5.6 & a TC? An excellent lens, which works well with TC's (the 50-500 @ 400 cannot compete with this lens, nor the results gathered from a compariso of both using TC's). The 400mm -and make sure you get an APO model if you go looking- can be found used for $300-400, now that Sigma discontinued it in favor of even more zooms.

I have this lens, and I have gotten some great and very sharp pictures. The Sigma 2x does not work with every lens, so I would suggest getting a Canon or other more universal doubler. The only criticism I have of the lens is that it creeps when pointed up or down at a high angel, so you need to watch out that the sharply focused shot stays that way.