D500 and D7000

johne37179

I've now had a couple of months of using the D7000 and the D500 side by side and I have a couple of observations. I have really liked my D7000, it is getting a little long in the tooth on shutter actuations and that was part of what prompted me to get the D500. All I can say about the D500 is that the superlatives about this camera don't do it justice. I am continually astounded by every aspect of the camera. I use the two side by side. The D7000 hasn't gotten worse over time, but the comparison of the output of the two side by side -- well, there is no comparison. One of the things that I continually find amusing is the shutter sound of the two. The D500 is much quieter and solid sounding. The D500 is slightly larger, but has much more heft than the D7000 -- I have battery grips on both. I find that shifting from one to the other while shooting is not an issue and I don't have to think about it, other than those times the autofocus of the D500 comes into play.

The image quality between the two on the same subject is astounding. It is not that the D7000 images are bad - they aren't. They are quite good. But the image quality from the D500 is head and shoulders better. I notice a crispness and resolution in lenses on the D500 that is just not there using the same lens on the D7000.

I still will continue to use the D7000 as a backup and for grab shots, but the D500 is a quantum jump ahead for this photographer.

Glad you're happy, John! I hired a D500 last summer to use alongside my D810, and it was very pleasant to use - and the changes (including size) from the D810 seemed relatively minor, though I liked most. The D7x00 series have always felt like toys when I've handled them. They're NOT toys - they're perfectly capable, and there are advantages to the smaller size. But the D500 feels far more solid, like the D700/D300 and D8x0 range.

Initially I didn't really notice the size difference. However, after having worked with the D500 for a while it does fall to hand easier and just seems a better fit. I like the endless buffer and quick autofocus. This is the first camera I've owned in about 65 years of taking pictures that does not ever get in the way. It just seems to vanish between my concept and the capture.

I'm looking forward to replacing my two D300 bodies with D500 bodies

As much as I liked the handling of the D300, the images I got out of the D7100 and D7200 were just better even though I am not a fan of their handling and control layout. Now with the D500 I have the best of both, improved handling and control even over the D300 and the image quality is right up there with what comes out of the D7100/D7200.

Understood, but with sudden car expenses, I have to hold off on the D500 for a few months at least. I'm curious to see how well the 51 will serve me. I shoot concerts and need to have the conductor and orchestra in frame from the wings, the 51 will allow me to use various zoom levels and compose so the conductor is always in focus.

It depends with the 51 focus points, to be honest. If you mean the setting on how many AF points the camera should use for focus tracking (9, 21, 51 or 51 with 3D), in my view 21 or 9 performs considerably better than enabling all 51 - it slows down the tracking just enough and in my experience (D300/D700) is more erratic. More isn't always by definition better ;-)

(no experience with a D500, so no idea how/if this applies also to the newer generation)

I will not be tracking a moving object, I just need to be able to frame the subject more efficiently, not have to lock focus and move to the framing I want, just choose the appropriate focus point.

It appears that you misunderstand what your selected dynamic AF area mode actually does. As long as you have not restricted your displayed AF points down to 11 (menu option a8), you can select among all 51 even when in single AF area mode. If you don't intend tracking motion, then the selecting the dynamic 51 AF area mode option (menu option a3) isn't necessary and will only slow your camera down.

<br><br> To state it differently, unless a8 is set to 11 AF points, all 51 AF points are always selectable via the direction pad, no matter the AF area mode setting.

I agree that the D500 is not the camera for everyone. My point is that it is a real step up. I did find from time to time it was frustrating waiting for my D7000 to catch up or miss the occasional shot. What I didn't realize until couple of thousand frames into the use of the D500 how much it has changed my approach in subtle, but most enjoyable ways.