Buying advice: Best places to buy lenses

adam_mclarsson

Hi all,

In the past I have always bought camera equipment online until last year when I purchased a new body. I decided I would pick one up from a store. However, I was amazed that staff in store allowed people to try new lenses and camera bodies on old lenses/bodies owned by the customer. They are then stored once again. I spoke to Jessops and they assure me that stock from their warehouse is new, though admitted the aforementioned was the case in store. The same is the case for WEX and Calumet.

I am keen to support local stores, but if this practice is a common one it is alarming. Considering, if someone has dropped their camera/lens and is not bothered about it - they may be trying lenses with a warped mount scratching or damaging the body/lens.

What are your thoughts?

I am also intrigued to know which company you feel packs their lenses the best? And which company you find to be the most reliable.

I am UK based.

I can't help you with local stores in the UK as I am here in the US. Letting folks try a lens on a camera or a camera on a lens is pretty common at local stores around me. It actually is one of the nice parts of buying local and supporting the local shops. I have had them lower the price a bit on demo unit, not a big deal as long as I get a full warranty and it was not a rental lens. If it was a rental lens then I consider it used and needs a proper price reduction. The local shops count on people coming back for future sales so they usually treat folks fairly. The ones that don't go out of business. I also buy used lenses on Craigslist. If a lens has a couple dings or scratches it is not a big deal. As long as the autofocus and image stabilization are ok, you can get a great lens for a great price. I just make sure the meeting is in a public place with people around, like a busy coffee shop. I have gotten a few items on Amazon and have once purchased a refurbed camera directly from Canon. I have bought 4 cameras from my local shop including the new 5D Mark IV. The folks at the local shop know me by name and I know them by name. Kind of like Cheers, but with Camera equipment and not beer.

Cheers, Mark

Cheers, Mark

I can't help you with local stores in the UK as I am here in the US. Letting folks try a lens on a camera or a camera on a lens is pretty common at local stores around me. It actually is one of the nice parts of buying local and supporting the local shops. I have had them lower the price a bit on demo unit, not a big deal as long as I get a full warranty and it was not a rental lens. If it was a rental lens then I consider it used and needs a proper price reduction. The local shops count on people coming back for future sales so they usually treat folks fairly. The ones that don't go out of business. I also buy used lenses on Craigslist. If a lens has a couple dings or scratches it is not a big deal. As long as the autofocus and image stabilization are ok, you can get a great lens for a great price. I just make sure the meeting is in a public place with people around, like a busy coffee shop. I have gotten a few items on Amazon and have once purchased a refurbed camera directly from Canon. I have bought 4 cameras from my local shop including the new 5D Mark IV. The folks at the local shop know me by name and I know them by name. Kind of like Cheers, but with Camera equipment and not beer.

Cheers, Mark

haha! I love your outlook Mark - Thank you for the reply. I will check them out. Thanks