Fill flash with 28mm AIS lens

leif_goodwin8

F80 (N80)'s meter won't work with any AIS lens. Then how does this work for flash. You may better send a query to Nikon USA (www.nikonusa.com). They usually send the reply withing a day or two.

You can modify the AIS lens to fit the camera by inserting a chip in it's mount. Rolland Elliot (http://home.carolina.rr.com/headshots/Nikonhome.htm) does this.

Good luck

Jemini. By RL I meant RE i.e. Rolland Elliot. He says he can't do this lens for the reason I gave. The TTL flash works because it meters off the film during the exposure until the correct amount of light has been received, and then shuts down the flash. I believe the camera lacks mechanical links to determine the maximum aperture of an AIS lens and hance it cannot meter with it (apart from the TTL flash case). I am hoping I can set the shutter and aperture manually, and then add filll flash e.g. -2 stops. Maybe I could do a double exposure e.g. -2 stops flash, followed by a non flash exposure. Anyone done this? Thanks. Leif.

Hi,

I'm sometimes in a similar situation as you. I use an F4 and a Non-AI lens. The similarity is that I have no aperture coupling between my camera and lens. I have the backup of being able to do stop down metering for ambient though. For flash metering, what you can do is use manual settings and dial in the flash compensation and fire away in standard (centre-weight) TTL mode.

Aaron