Nikon Wednesday 2017: #7

Matt Laur

Nostalgia? Okay - that means the cute sea otters will have to wait a week.<br />

<br />

Back in 2009, my wife and I visited her best friend from university (whom I knew fairly well too) at her home in Sechelt, BC. She took us to many pretty places, but one less-known tourist attraction is Soames Hill, near Gibsons. The friend, who suffered from depression, committed suicide the day after the 2010 Winter Olympics (in Vancouver) ended; we'd both been meaning to call her all the way through it. Since then, every time I've been able to go to Vancouver (which has been for several conferences), I've made a point of climbing up Soames Hill in her memory. Miss you, Shellster.<br />

<br />

Here's the view from the top on our most recent trip, at the start of the year. We had sunnier weather on the way up, and this doesn't really do it justice (partly because climbing a 300m hill when you have a cold and muscle cramps and aren't very fit does not make for even my usual minimal photographic competence), but the view in real life is fairly spectacular. That's Gibsons in the bay on the right, with Keats Island forming the land mass straight ahead.<br />

<br />

D810@ISO64,1/1000s; Tamron 24-70@31mm,f/7.1.<br />

DSC_3364_DxO.thumb.jpg.9330b8b2eacc236514ce2e7010c9895d.jpg

It's been too long since I posted, but I recently added a D750 to the stable and love it.

I was challenged by a fellow guest at a wedding to take zoom blur photos, so here's one from a Smithsonian art museum light display. Desaturated to B&W in Photoshop.

D750, Tamron 24-70mm, ISO 200, f/22, .77 secnikonDSC_3495.jpg.b9edf18c58878ac5942002b0bda4783e.jpg