Deleting a post

HarryBaker

. . . on the old site you had about 10 minutes to change your mind and delete the post.

On the old site you have 10 minutes to edit the post. This was not always so but the option was brought in several years ago to allow for typo corrections and the like.

You could not actually "delete" a post. Though within that ten minute edit period you could remove all the contents of the post thereby your post (name and time of posting remained) but the post had nil content - that's probably what you did before.

WW

<p>

The other forums I frequent allow editing at any time, why have the restriction at all?
</p><p></p>

<p>Firstly I just checked the functionality of the new Photo.net Forum and the ability for one to edit one’s own post, has been carried over.</p><p></p><br>

<p>In fact the duration of that edit period has been extended to fifteen (15) minutes.</p><p></p><br>

<p>***</p><p></p><br>

<p>Apropos your question as to “why?” –</p><p></p><br>

<p>My understanding of the Terms and Conditions of Use and the User Guidelines is that Photo.net Members have always accepted the responsibility for what they publish. Once published, it is so stated. This is how “Publication” works.</p><p></p><br>

<p>I understand that there was much discussion regarding the allowance of an editing period and after that a choice of ten minutes was decided – this period was for the purpose of correcting typographical errors or minor errors of content - for example one might have written.</p><p></p><br>

<p><i>“I suggest that you do get the EF 24 to 104F/4IS L because the Maximum Aperture will not be sufficient to shoot shallow Depth of Field at Weddings.</i>”</p><p></p><br>

<p>It would be obvious to many readers that there is an error of omission and also a typographical error – but that sentence could be quite confusing to a novice or one less experienced – for example if it were an answer to a beginner question, about a Wedding Kit.</p><p></p><br>

<p>So the editing period was introduced so Members had the opportunity to correct their error – viz:</p><p></p> <br>

<p><i>“I suggest that you do not get the EF 24 to 105F/4IS L because the Maximum Aperture will not be sufficient to shoot shallow Depth of Field at Weddings”</i>.</p><p></p><br>

<p>My understanding is that “ten minutes editing period” was chosen as a balance between “responsibility for publication” and “allowance to correct an inadvertent mistake”.</p><p></p><br>

<p>***</p><p></p><br>

<p>My personal opinion is that there should be no editing period, but that probably is because I have a background in Journalism and Telecast & Broadcast - the proofreading is the responsibility of the author or someone to whom the author defers, but must be done before publication: I see no difference for anyone who publishes their text or their images on a forum.</p><p></p><br>

<p>Additionally, my opinion is, if there were an infinite period (or even a very long period) of editing time, logical conversations could be untenable and worse, conversations which discarded civility and/or contravened the T&CoU and UG, could be diabolical.</p><p></p><br>

<p>WW</p>

William W. - As of now I find no way to edit comments on pictures, even within the 10 minute period. Am I wrong? Is this an oversight or is this the new standard?

I am not sure whether its is an oversight or new - I do not recall if there was an edit period or not on comments on pictures in the old Photo.net version.

However I think that exact question has been raised in one of the other threads addressed by Glenn Palm: if I find any further information I will post it here.<br>

WW

Could not follow your line of thinking. Like I said, the other forums I frequent allow unlimited time to edit and there's rarely, if ever, anything untenable, uncivil, contravened or diabolical.
<br>

I don't think that I have any clearer way of explaining than other what I have already written.<br>

In any case, the fact is: there is a 15 minute edit time here at Photo.net.

<br>

WW

I have no skin in the game of editing time. I try to proof my own comments before I publish them. Sure, typos or mistaken grammar get through tat times, but I live with that. If I've said something that I later determine to be unclear, I will write another post clarifying what I'd said earlier. So I don't find I need He extra editing time, though I do understand why many like it. BUT . . . There was a time when editing had no limits. When I first joined the site 10 years ago, one could edit their posts at any time they chose. It was horrible, because what often happened was that someone would respond to a comment, then that comment would get edited so that the response no longer made sense. I don't recall exactly when the 10-minute editing window was introduced but it actually replaced an unlimited editing window. If you go back and look at some of my early photos, you'll see that I often addressed comments of others that no longer exist because after I responded to someone they either deleted or edited their original comment.
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

The unlimited editing window applied both to forums and photo critiques. And note, there are two typos in my above post. I was a typesetter by trade, and very proofreader savvy but, honestly, even I can live with those typos. The only reason they got through is that I'm not yet used to the new PREVIEW feature and hit POST RESPONSE too quickly. But I think my post can be understood, typos and all.
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

The question is. How could I have removed it myself?

As like the 'old' Photonet, within the edit period you could have used the edit function to remove the image from the thread, but, unlike the 'old' Photonet you can not leave a blank message - you must have some content.

So, as, mentioned a user can NOT "remove" a post from a thread but they do have the option to edit their content within fifteen minutes - so if you wanted to delete one of the images that you posted, then you could have within fifteen minutes used the edit function to remove the image and left a short message mentioning that you had made an error and deleted a duplicate post.

See here, what I just did - https://www.photo.net/discuss/threads/testing-image-post.5496482/

WW

• 4 months later...