How to firm up juncture from camera to QR plate?

cxc

I have a Gowland 4x5 which exposes a surface of little more than one

square inch surrounding the tripod hole. When I mount it on my quick

release plate, it sits in the middle of the 3x4" rubber pad, without

crossing any of the firm edges. The rubber gives some, allowing the

camera to wobble when manipulated; this is the weak link in my

rigidity.

Is there something simple & cheap & readymade I can interpose between

the two that will firm up this connection? Maybe like a thin metal

plate with a little hole in it, bigger than the QR plate? Other

suggestions?

TIA,

CXC

Christopher, try inserting a large Fender washer between the camera and the UR plate. These washers are made of thin metal. They come in a variety of diameters in both brass and steel. They are available at most hardware stores. Just make certain that the center hole is large enough to accomodate the mounting screw. If a Fender washer doesn't work, you will probably be better off switching to a different tripod head. One with a smaller QR plate.

My tripod has a cork pad that covers the area of contact on the tripod mounting plate. I would have the same problem when mounting the monorails -bearing surface of the camera base too small to prevent it from rocking on the cork. Wound up making a large plate washer of 3/32 hard aluminum sheet the same size as the top of the tripod with a hole for the 1/4-20 screw. Does the job of anchoring everything down. I contemplated removing the cork but really didn't want to as I use the tripod for a number of cameras. Only disadvantage is that the tripod screw could be a bit longer for a better grip into the camera, but its not adjustable on this tripod. I also have to remember to make sure its in the kit when I head out with the monorails.