Sony/Minolta pictures of the week / 5 April 2015

howardstanbury

<p>More from out and about in Oxford:</p>

<p><a title="One last heave by Howard Stanbury, on Flickr" href=" One last heave src="https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7601/16832681679_73bb66f279_c.jpg" alt="One last heave" width="800" height="800" /></a><br>

^ One last heave - Hercules & Atlas hold a globe</p>

<p><a title="X by Howard Stanbury, on Flickr" href=" X src="https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8713/16761514549_1eebebba07_c.jpg" alt="X" width="800" height="452" /></a><br>

^ X marks the spot</p>

<p><a title="Steps by Howard Stanbury, on Flickr" href=" Steps src="https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7283/16325343774_dbb023c5aa_c.jpg" alt="Steps" width="800" height="452" /></a><br>

^ Steps <br>

(All A7 / LA-EA4 / Tamron 28-300 zoom)</p>

<p>Howard the globe looks precarious, not just because Atlas and Hercules seem to be struggling but also with the intersecting joins of the stone segments versus the metal lines of meridians and tropics. I wonder if anyone checked whether the center might hold holiday-appropriate marzipan or hazelnut filling! ;)</p>

<p>Randy since I'm not able to eat either, I'd actually pick #2 as my favorite. On my screen the highlights come out a bit too bright for the shadows though. If the swirly eggs have survived the holiday, then it might be worth a try to shoot again with a white paper sheet positioned as a light reflector just outside the left margin?</p>

<p>Robert one of the dangers of using wide angle lenses really wide, is that you have to be careful not to fall forward into equipment like the mulcher! Hopefully you borrowed one of the logging crew's helmets and safety harnesses ... or were you yourself the logging crew?</p>

<p>My Easter consisted of more wildflower and pollinator fun in Red Rock Canyon State Park, I haven't had time yet to figure out the species names but will add them if/when I can find those. First off, a single penny sized "belly flower". No leaves and just a few mm of stem, the single flower sticking up from the desert gravel is the whole plant:</p>

<p> </p><div>00dDzA-556139984.jpg.07d6c9005eb6bda962d85768e5d18bf8.jpg</div>

<p>Despite all the tiny flowers requesting service, the biggest and most colorful fuzzy beeflies and flower-loving flies have apparently not emerged yet. Here's the most attractive and elusive one that I've spotted so far this spring, again about the size of a penny:</p>

<div>00dDzH-556140284.jpg.ada75b9f315a222122f803e306f62f55.jpg</div>

<p>Third one is easy as far as identifying is concerned: a leopard lizard ready to pounce & swallow anything that moves. Their mouth actually opens all the way back to the neck so they have plenty of room for even the biggest bugs. All three shot with a65 + Sigma 70 2.8 macro.</p><div>00dDzK-556140484.jpeg.65b357840bbf63e9a4332264e4894f2e.jpeg</div>