Sony pictures of the week / 14 December 2014

howardstanbury

<p>I have been travelling again, and apologies for the delay ... just one this week, the fabulous Rietveld Schroeder House in Utrecht, Holland.</p>

<p><a title="Rietveld Schröder House /4 by Howard Stanbury, on Flickr" href=" Rietveld Schröder House /4 src="https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8644/16036377622_fbd440a47b_c.jpg" alt="Rietveld Schröder House /4" width="800" height="583" /></a><br>

(NEX-7 and SEL 18-55 zoom)</p>

<p>Built in 1924, a masterpeiece of modern design, 'one of the best known examples of De Stijl architecture and arguably the only true De Stijl building [and] constitutes both inside and outside a radical break with all architecture before it'. (Wikipedia)</p>

<p>No cameras allowed indoors, but the transformation when the partitions and room dividers on the first floor were slid and folded away was truly remarkable. A gem.</p>

<p>As ever, please add your selection of pictures taken with Sony/Minolta gear, digital or film, to a maximum of 3 photos.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Randy, I'm no expert but it says on the Internet that De Stijl was founded in 1917 and influenced the Bauhaus movement, which started a couple of years later. The Schroder house was a first, but within a few years Rietveld was designing other buildings that were much more functional in appearance.</p>

<p>There is a block across the street from the Schroder house dating from 1930 which I also photographed on my visit:</p>

<p><a title="Erasmuslaan 9 by Howard Stanbury, on Flickr" href=" Erasmuslaan 9 src="https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7527/16035063861_d9ab8a4dca.jpg" alt="Erasmuslaan 9" width="500" height="334" /></a></p>