Kudos to KEH

mark_stephan2

<p>I purchased a used EXC+ Tamron 90 f2.8 Macro lens for my A77 and the lens would constantly show F - -even after cleaning the camera and lens contacts. It also developed another problem before I swapped it out for another lens. It showed LeNs on the top lcd and the viewfinder and back lcd would go black. Received another lens today and it's perfect! KEH even paid the postage for me to send it back to them and also the postage to ship the new lens to me.</p>

<p>Any idea what they did? My Tamron 200-500mm that I got from them this Dec. is doing the same thing. Problem is that I didn't notice it till I was back in Costa Rica. For now my solution has been to turn off the camera, disengage the lens lock, give it a slight turn and lock it back in place. It generally works fine again after that. But it can be irritating when it happens at the wrong moment.</p>

<p>Siegfried, I wrote down the serial number of the original lens and received a lens with a different serial number so they replaced it. I had to use the same procedure as you to get it to work but tired of it and exchanged it for another lens. Since you purchased your lens in December it'll be covered by their 6 month warranty. I have a feeling that in your case it'll be replaced if they have one in stock. If not, they'll ship your lens to Tamron for repair.</p>

<p>Where do you think big "my uncle left us a bunch of cameras and we have no idea what to do" lots of photo equipment end up? How about eBay auctions where the seller mentions a known defect and nobody buys the camera? That's right, KEH.</p>

<p>Nobody wants to sell a camera for less than they can get but KEH is a convenience. KEH is a reseller and buys low and sells at a markup. They buy a LOT of stuff and don't test it. They can't or their costs would soar. You'll do much better going with an eBay add that states the working condition of the item. Doesn't state it? Skip it. Arrives broken? Return it and get your shipping back both ways, that's eBay's policy now.</p>

<p>And FWIW, I despise eBay. But they're the best game in town if you buy carefully.</p>

<p>I think expectations here are a bit too high for a used gear reseller. It took me several days of using it for a couple hundred images before I noticed it. How can you expect them to sell you a used lens at a competitive price if you want them to spend more than 15-20 min. cleaning and doing a basic functionality test? That's what the warranty is for. I was simply hoping that it might have been something I could have fixed myself.</p>

<p>With regard to the comment "They buy a LOT of stuff and don't test it", a couple of years ago I traded in some Hasselblad lenses, one of which had a defect which I was unaware of that wasn't cosmetic. On testing the lens they notified me of the problem and offered to pay for the return or to reduce the price to cover the repair costs. I have purchased a number of used items from them over the last ten years and have never received a defective item; I have also found them to be very conservative in their grading and descriptions.</p>

<p>Just an update, yes it seems that someone from KEH seen this thread. He contacted me today. And is offering his assistance.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Hello Siegfried Gust;<br /><br /> I noticed from the <a target="_blank">photo.net</a> forum that you are having intermittent difficulties<br /> with the Tamron 200-500 you purchased from KEH on 11/26/2013.<br /><br /> I would like to offer assistance with getting this lens repaired (or possibly replaced)<br /> for you with the least amount of inconvenience to you as possible.<br /><br /> Although we do not currently have an exact equivalent in stock to replace it with<br /> we could exchange for virtually any lens for you and either charge or refund the difference.<br /><br /> Repair could take several weeks however I would continue to assist you during the process<br /> and we could switch to exchange at any point (especially if an equivalent did become available<br /> in our inventory).<br /><br /> I will look forward to hearing from you and assisting you with a repair at your convenience.<br /><br /> Sincerely,<br /> Dan</p>

</blockquote>

<p>As far as I'm concerned that's all I would ask for anyways. I'll contact them tomorrow about the matter, but I expect that I'll continue to be a satisfied customer of theirs.</p>

<p>Of the dozens (and dozens!) of items I've purchased from KEH over the years, I've received only one defective lens...which was returned with no difficulty at all. In my book, those guys are among the very best in the business.</p>

• 2 months later...
<p>I live a short train ride from NYC and can purchase used lenses from any of the Big camera stores in the city; But I prefer to buy from KEH, for simply the reasons shown here by the stories written. They take care of the customers and they show that they care..</p>