How Heavy is your Bag/Backpack

james_f6

<p>I have 5 Camera bags, and today received my largest backpack to date. I wanted something that would hold all my gear with ease.<br>

<a href="http://store.lowepro.com/pro-trekker-600-aw">http://store.lowepro.com/pro-trekker-600-aw</a> (this is it)<br>

Well I packed it up with camera, lenses (8) and flash, filters, and misc accessories. <br>

8.5kg on the bathroom scales. Anyone Heavier?</p>

<p>Managed to get a LowePro Minitrekker with a lenscase mounted on the side to tip in at somewhat over 10kg (*), and actually used it frequently that way. But my back made me know it doesn't like these exercises, and I was always carrying more gear than I really needed, so it's all been rationalised now into lighter bags.</p>

<p>(*) Contents: 1 camera, 8 lenses, 2 TCs, flash, filters, batteries etc. The lenscase on the side contained a 300 f/4, plus a 80-200 f/2.8 inside making up for a lot of the weight. I'm in the wrong forum though, all Nikon gear.</p>

<p>I also managed to load a LowePro Minitrekker with enough gear to top 10 kilograms. Not so good to wear all day, but remarkably convenient as cabin luggage when flying, even on smaller commuter planes.</p>

<p>The Minitrekker does not hold all of my gear, though, so I need to select what I am going to need for the particular trip. On a photo trip, I typically pack 2 camera bodies, 3-5 lenses, batteries and other accesories, and a laptop (netbook) or - recently - a tablet computer.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Not wishing to sound like one of the 4 Yorkshiremen (Monty Python) but I have a Camera bag and a Backpack.<br>

Now, the Camera bag is a padded duffel bag with wheels that holds all my gear and gets loaded into the boot (trunk) for away trips...... 3 Sony bodies, about 8 lenses, tripod, monopod, battery chargers etc etc.<br>

In light relief comes the daily backpack for a single body, a couple of lenses and monopod.<br>

The padded duffel bag weighs a ton (figure of speech). I have yet to weigh it, but it takes two of us to load it into the car (smiles).<br>

Regards</p>

• 3 weeks later...
<p>My Thinktank Antedote (sized for puddle jumper) is exactly 22 pounds and holds a D7000 with Sigma 8-16, D7100 with Sigma 17-70 macro, D7100 with Sigma 18-35 F1.8, and Sony A77 with 70-400. If I miss a shot, it's definitely my fault. </p>

• 2 weeks later...

Seems once I purchase an Item if it works fine. If it does not I put it in the closet . My backpack I

located at a boot sale for a good price. Loaded I determined it was just too heavy(no never put it

on the scale) as my wife refused to carry it. Reloaded my things into the small camera bags.

Suppose that should the need to transport all that gear does arise I'll just hire some porters.

When I started this hobby my bag was "busting" at the seams. Everything I "might" need was

stuffed inside, you know, just in case. I now pack another way. I pick what I need. Extra(?), that's

what the second lens is. One wide, 35mm, one regular, 50mm, hoods, extra film, maybe a lens

brush. After that , I gotta say, maybe I just didn't plan well enough. Good luck to all and happy

planning.

<p>"... I wanted something that would hold all my gear with ease..."<br>

-------------------------<br>

I just pack what I think I'm gonna need. For example, I seldom pack flash unless I see the need for it ahead of time. Same with macro stuff. </p>

<p>I <em>never</em> go out with <em>all</em> my gear.</p>