A77

jerome_smith

<p>Bought an A77 and I'm just getting familiar with it.<br>

I notice the "steady shot" is controlled in the menu (on/off), and that Sony still recommends not using it when the camera is tripod mounted. On my A700 there was a lever/button to control the anti-shake, which was convenient since I switch from tripod to hand held quite a bit. Having to actually go into the menu screen is not handy at all. I searched the manual to see if one of the function buttons could be allocated to steady shot, with no success. Does anyone have some insight to this?<br>

Many thanks</p>

<p>Jerome</p>

<p>While I'm not an a77 owner myself, I do remember various forum threads expressing similar unhappiness. Here's one <a href="http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/41126252">in dpreview</a> where some people suggest make-do substitutes such as assigning the menu button to repeat the last menu item accessed previously, or having two memory settings stored = one with stabilization on and another where it's off.</p>

<p>Thanks Paul. I went to the thread, and then went back to my manual. Not the best fix in the world, but I programmed the camera to take me back to the last menu item accessed--steady shot. Not as good as a button, but it may work in a pinch without losing too much time.<br>

I wonder why Sony decided to eliminate this handy button and instead opted for a couple of useless ones, i.e., the ?</p>

<p>Jerome</p>

<p>The Sony A65 does not have memory recall function.<br>

But the a77 has 3 presets.<br>

Try setting a one of the 3 memory recall settings with the Steadyshot being off and see if it saves.<br>

I am not sure how the memory recall functions work on the A77, but if it's like the A700 then you just press a button to flick between the 3.<br>

The option to turn it off is in the menu, it's not complicated or that time consuming I don't think it is much of an issue once you get used to it, unless you are taking your camera on and off the tripod all the time.<br>

All that said it takes me 4 seconds to go into the menu second tab and toggle it off or on.</p>

<p>Yeah, I always used steadyshot on a tripod, whether it was the A700 or A65, and it's always pin sharp.<br>

I believe there is only a small risk the sensor might move, but I can only see that happening if the tripod moves or vibrates, which would mean even with the sensor off it would not be totally sharp because of tripod movement.</p>

• 2 weeks later...