SLT at Freezing Temperature

Mike D

<p>I will be traveling to Yellowstone National Park next February. The daytime highs will range from 0 degrees F to +20 degrees F. One of the cameras I will be using is a Sony A57 SLT with 70-400. Does anyone on this forum have experience with an A57 or other Sony SLT at these temperatures? Is an A580 a better choice for the cold? </p>

<p>I cannot find much information, but I think with anything it comes down to moisture seals, etc. I have used my Sony A65 in 5 degree mornings, sometimes closer to 3 degree's, I just places a plastic bag to protect it against moisture. But working wise, not an issue.</p>

• 3 weeks later...
<p>Parv, the manual says 32 F to 104 F. Yikes, that's terrible. Forget taking either my A580 or A57 to Yellowstone in winter. Wait a minute, my Nikon D700 also has the same operating temperature parameters and it worked great at 10 F a couple years ago. I guess that's why I asked about other's personal experience because the camera manufactures are being too cautious with their specifications. </p>

• 4 weeks later...
<p>I recently shot my A65 in 4-7degrees F temps two days in a row and the shutter button stop working both days. The camera warmed up quickly in the car and started working properly almost imediatley but back in the cold 30-45 minutes later the shutter would have a problem firing. It's the only fault I have found in the camera. Still love the camera and would buy another if I was not saving up for the A99.</p>