Question about Minolta lenses on Sony DSLR bodies

tom_kat

<p>Hi Tom, Minolta and Konica Minolta AF lenses will fit and work directly on Sony DSLR with metering and diaphragm control as well as autofocus. Not all Minolta lenses are excellent though, you'll want to check online reviews to see which ones are rated highly and which ones are not. The most comprehensive online database with specs of Minolta/Sony mount autofocus lenses can be found at <a href="http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/index.asp">dyxum.com</a></p>

<p>Nearly all third party lenses in Minolta's AF mount will work as well, although a few early Sigma models can have issues, and obviously some of the off-brand lenses are optically and/or mechanically a lot better than others.</p>

<p>Manual focus Minolta lenses (MC, MD etc) will not fit directly and will not provide auto diaphragm control. Similar to the issues with fitting Canon FD mount manual focus lenses on Canon EOS bodies, various adapters can get around that, but with some optical limitations, and only a very select few among those adapters will allow you to correctly use the sensor stabilization of a Sony DSLR.</p>

<p>Why bother using MC, MD lens on a new DSLR? You will have to use an adapter. When using an adapter you will find that if you use an adapter with out a correction lens you will lose close focus, and if you use an adapter with a correction lens you may or may not lose some sharpness. You will lose all the auto functions on the camera as well.<br>

I do have an adapter form MC to Alpha mount. got it just for a 600mm Sigma lens it, the adapter, is ok for that lens but I find that lens hard to use on what ever camera I use it on. Get a good SLR and use the lens like it was designed for.</p>