High res conversions

bill_pearce1

<p>I am familiar with the companies that do conversions of cameras where the anti-ailiasing filter is replaced with plain optical glass to give higher resolution. Most of these seem to be done to already quite good slr's, but I have a different idea.<br>

Does anyone know of someone that does those conversions to the Sony R1? I was dissapointed when they bought Minolta, as the R1, a good but slightly flawed camera, was thrown to the curb. I would like mine to be so modified.<br>

Thanks for your help,</p>

<p>Bill Pearce</p>

<p>I don't know where to get them done, but I did compare my 12mp A700 to my 11mp MFDB and the MFDB had at least 2x the resolution of the Sony. The pixels were 2x as big (35mm-sized sensor vs APS-C), but that shouldn't have made much difference. The MFDB used an old 55mm lens at f/8, vs the $1200 35mm Sony G lens at f/5.6, so the lens shouldn't have made a difference.<br>

<br /><br /></p>

Minolta|Sony 35mm f/1.4 G is not known for its sharpness (unlike 35mm f/2). At least should have tried a Minolta 50mm f/1.7 if not Minolta|Sony 50mm f/1.4 (filter width of 55mm).

George, what is a "MFDB"?

<p>Ha, I knew someone would make that claim. ;-) </p>

<p>I'm sure the 35G is PLENTY sharp at f/5.6, especially compared to the Mamiya 55mm. It's not known for incredible sharpness either. Medium format lenses are generally LESS sharp than 35mm lenses, because they can get away with it on the larger format.</p>

<p>The point is...the AA filter by design blurs adjacent pixels at the sensor. This helps avoid moire effect. So, by definition, the image will not be pixel sharp. Without the AA filter, you get pure resolution, but run the risk of having odd patterns show up on textures that match the spatial frequency of the sensor.</p>

<p>Medium Format Digital Back...most do not use AA filters.</p>