Maxxum 7D shutter locks up

emaxxman

<p>I know there is a known issue with the shutter locking up. I tried googling it and searching here on photo.net. Unfortunately, searches turn up articles around the mirror lockup function and not the actual defect. Does anyone have a link to a more detailed explanation of the issue.<br>

My problem with the shutter lockup has been strange. I've had it where the shutter locks up after a long period of non-use. Removing the battery to reset the camera and reinserting usually fixed it. Recently, I had a strange issue where the shutter locked up and the only thing that worked to fix it was replacing the battery in the external 5600hs flash. The batts were low in the flash. Replacing the batts seemed to unlock the lockup. I also noticed that the internal lithium batt, if low, contributed to the lockup. A freshly charged camera battery pack resolved the problem. I do NOT have the extra vertical grip.<br>

To recap, I've had shutter lockup based on 3 situations:<br>

1) after a long period of non-use.<br>

2) external 5600hs flash had a low battery indicator.<br>

3) internal lithium battery pack (OEM) was low</p>

<p>Are these all symptoms of the same shutter issue? Or are these all non-related?</p>

<p>Thanks in advanced.</p>

<p>Sounds like " First Black Frame " issue. I had similar prob with mine an sent it in .<br>

I just got my 7d back from Precision Camera in Enfield CT, it took about 7 weeks but it's as good as new. I sent it in for the black frame prob, They replaced and recalibtrated all focus and anti shake, replaced anti shake, shutter, springs and associated parts at no cost but the shipping, 26.00 bucks.<br /> I bought the camera new in 2004 when they first hit the market, never had a prob till last year.</p>

<p>I have the same issue. After not using it for a couple of weeks, it will just lock when first turning it on, nothing on display back, nothing at all will happen apart from a click when the sutter is pressed. <br>

Turning it off and on, pressing the shutter buttom it again locks it up again. I just keep turning it off and on, then eventually it works after doing that about 5-10 times, and I do not have anymore issues unless I do not use it for another week or so.<br>

Using it daily or every few days, is fine, no lock up.</p>