Black Frame issue

rickeselgroth

<p>My back up 7D is having issues with the common BLK FM . I sent Sony tec a email and got the usual go to the sony repair site that guided me through a few hoop putting down camera info and prob. Then I got to the bottom and they wanted CC info, and a upfront payment of 269.00 usd to send it in and then the repairs mount after that. Well of course I canceled out of that screen and sent them a email reply to give me more info on the repair and steps to get it fixed. They haven't got back yet so I called and talked to some weird digital tec voice thing that took all my info again and then it told me that Sony no longer fixes the BLK FM prob for free, it will cost 209.00 usd and I have to pay for shipping and that doesn't include taxes and a few other charges that the digital voice rattled off, I couldn't understand what it said so I said thx good bye. So NO MORE FREE FIXES. That program ended some time in 2008, she said. WHAT A BUNCH OF CRAP.</p>

<p>Well, it's a fairly old camera Rick, I think you knew when you bought it that this problem was going to happen eventually. You've used it loads and you've enjoyed it - move on. It's hard to take, but it may be time to invest in a new body. 'Every cloud has a silver lining' - on the upside, you'll love the speed of the newer bodies compared to your 7D. Good luck.</p>

<p>Rick, when did you buy your 7D and how much did you spend approximately? If worst comes to worst and you have to trade it in for a new sony alpha, maybe the damage to your wallet won't be that bad. 7D's still appear to fetch a fairly good price on the repair market, even in "as is" condition with issues.</p>

<p>I got my 7D repaired this past February by taking it to my local camera shop. He sent it in and all it cost was $32.03 for the shipping. Perhaps individuals can't get it done but Sony will sometimes listen to dealers.</p>

<p>Just of curiosity (as in not really contributing anything useful), if a manufactured item fails years after any reasonable warranty period, is it really a manufacturering defect that should be covered at no cost by the manufacturer?</p>

<p>Is that like buying a car and expecting it to run indefinately without servicing or repairs.</p>

<p>Ok, maybe if you pay $10,000 for a Leica then you might reasonably expect the manufacturer to cover you forever! *laugh* The reason I ask the question is because one of my Maxxum 7s has had a partial failure of the LCD screen and the AF lock buttons doesn't work anymore. But I'm not about to ring KM up as ask them to fix it for nothing.</p>

<p>Thanks Robert, I contacted Precision Camera and the fix is still free and all I have to pay for is shipping.<br>

Paul I bought it new with in a month of the release date, $1400.00 usd<br>

Jiun my camera is very lightly used and I really haven't used it much at all in the last 1 1/2yrs and this was a known prob with the camera that could happen at any point in it's life of 100,000 shutter accusations, mine has far less than half of that. Sony said when they bought out the Konica Minolta camera dept that they would fix the prob free of charge if any 7d owners had a prob with them even if they were out of warranty. and this is the only prob I ever had with it (ha ha ha, laughing very loud).</p>

<p>Were you aware leaving a 7D/5D unused for long periods of time only increases the likelyhood of the FBF issue occuring?</p>

<p>Jiun, I see what you mean ;). But I think it's a little different here, as KM actually acknowledged there was an known fault with the camera in the FBF error.</p>

<p>You are welcome Rick! Glad to be of help and happy to hear that Precision can repair it at no cost to you. That's good for me too, as I never know when mine will act up -- and it's not really a back up, unless you consider it a backup for my film 7 and my Maxxum 9!</p>