Question About the Maxxum 9000 & Power Grip

jeff_matsler1

Hello,

I am reading in old Minolta literature that the 360PX will work on the 9000, with the only drawback that it doesn't

automatically scale to distance like the 4000 AF would do.

That said, here is my question:

If I can use the 360PX in TTL mode with the 9000, does it suffice to say that I can also use the PG-2 Flash Power

Grip with the 9000?

And the 4000 AF on the PG-2?

I understand it wouldn't have the cool connections on the bottom of the camera, but if I used the TTL cables on the

PG-2, wouldn't it work fine?

If anyone has tried this - or has a CG 1000 they want to sell , please let me know.

Thanks,

Jeff M

Hi Jeff,

Cool - lookin' for answers ANYWHERE, huh? =8^o

Logic here, not experience. The Minolta AEF Auto Elextro Flash 360 PX does not have a zoom head, but can use

either the OTF Off The Film (Minolta's patent) "flash-satisfactory" sensors in the bottom of the mirror box that look

toward the film to send a "shut off" signal through the "p" flash foot contact (the "p" in "360px"), OR the 360px can

use it's own thyristor (neat!) to shut itself off when it senses it's own flash coming back to it. Or it can be manually

dialed back to just about any primary or secondary lighting ratio you figure out on your own. Your challenge is to get

the 4000 AF to also shut off at the same time as the camera shuts off the attached 360px, right? So the 4000 AF

needs it's own thyristor or it's own "p" program signal coming from the camera OTF sensor circuit, right? You may

have to mount BOTH flashes off the camera and have a Y adapter. How many cables to you have, and how many

pins in the cables? Have you got the full owner's instruction manuals for everything?

Are you wanting advice BEFORE purchase, or have you got it all and can't get it coordinated? Tell us more (ooo, the

dreaded "tell us more" response!).

No CG-1000 Control Grip here, sorry.

Hi Peter,

Good to hear from you.

Either you misunderstand what I'm asking, you're answering a question other than what I've asked (wouldn't be a

first), or you have not clearly stated what you're trying to convey in the way of an answer, because the above doesn't

tell me anything.

I have no intention of using both flashes at the same time. I have a 9000 and a 4000AF (on the way from KEH) and I

own a PG-2 along with a 360PX and a score of other flashes, mostly Metz. I also bought a Metz SCA for the

4000AF, BTW.

I want to shoot off camera - on a bracket of some sort, preferably the dedicated one, but I can't locate a CG-1000 in

working condition from a reliable source at this instant.

So I'm wondering if I can use the AF4000 on the PG-2, or if the 360PX will function as it is designed to with the 9000

if it's on the PG-2. My experience with 80's era Minolta and Nikon gear is that taking stuff off the camera - even with

the proper connecting cords, often altars the dedicated response of some accessories.

So if you know, please let me know.

Thanks.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the "more", as always.

Yes, the Minolta-brand off-camera cables relay ALL information equivelent to the hot shoe connection, and then the Minolta flashes will work same same regardless of their position in the universe so long as they are connected electronically in this way as if they were on the camera hot shoe. The reason I suggested the multi-connector (Y-adapter) is so yo can use BOTH flases at the same time, also regardless of their physical position in the universe, and they will then both be turned off when the camera TTL OTF flash sensors say ENOUGH ALREADY!

Enjoy, and let us know how it goes. The Minolta AF Alpha/Dynax/Maxxum 9000 is a fantastic feat of classic engineering. A keeper. I should scan and upload my original Minolta Mirror (house organ) magazine review of it from waay back when ... you'd LOVE it!

More later.