A couple of things compared to my beloved KM 7D

Build : looks very solid and strong, same as the 7D

Autofocus : It blasts the 7D away, AF lamp is a HUGE advantage

Exposure : now this is what really blew me away. 7D I was always compensating

for difficult light conditions, my black cat for example. The A700 is SPOT ON,

near perfection.

Flash : My KM 5600HS (D) on the 7D was good, but most of the time a real PAIN

to use, always messing things up, and compensation all the time. on the A700, I

have yet to take a bad flash photo using the external flash.

I must say the Sony A700 performance is astounding, I have no regrets

whatsoever. Picking up my 7D still feels good, but the images coming from the

A700 are honestly in a class above.

As for the noise and the clarity, the A700 is great.

I have now used all KM and SONY DSLR, and the A700 is simply the best of the

lot.

Thought I would just share these thoughts.

Good to hear you are happy with your new camera Jim :-)

The great thing is that you have used the 7D to its full potential IMHO. How many Nikon users can say they stood by there D100 for so long because of excellent ergonomics, build and IQ? Well, maybe best we dont ask that question... as I think they had a few cameras after the D100 ;-). The 7D is still an excellent camera to use though.

The point being that you have used the 7D for many years and eventually found a just upgrade when you found the time/price was right for you. There is nothing worse than someone jumping from camera to camera every few months gainging nothing but fuel for some very unhealthy addiction!

I keep thinking about the A700. The A100 is lagging behing in focus, even with the 200HSG on it!(!)(!). Then yesterday while doing some simple natural light portraits, I even found "banding" across the image at ISO400 - thats pretty awful if you ask me, and rather disappointing as i liked the photo(s).

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Now I want the A700 more than ever. I've handled it in the store and it is easy to use, the LCD is second to none, and the DRO should come in very handy (although I haven't played with it). If the flash works as you say that would really be a plus.

But what to do with the 7D? I wrote to B&H photo to get a quote on what price they would pay for it (they buy and sell used equipment), and they didn't even want it!

I also played with the A-700 and it is truly amazing! The AF seems fast and accurate, the LCD is spectacular. I had no idea how much better it could be.

However, my 7D is perking along very nicely, warts and all. I am simply not in a season where i can buy a new camera because it is so much better. However, it sure would be nice!!!! That is exactly why i stay away from the camera shops - why torture myself?!?

I am happy for the OP and am certain it will be well used and fully exploited!

Congrats!

frank

• 3 weeks later...

I upgraded a few months ago. The 7D is a GREAT camera, or was for its time. It's still a pleasure to use and I do still use it for time-lapse stuff. But, yes, the a700 blows it away in terms of image quality. The resolution is better, the metering is better, and the AF is MUCH better.

I'd like to have the same capabilities in a 7D body, though. I like compensation on a dial is pretty much the only reason.