Minolta Dynax 9

malcolm_denton

I've had my Maxxum 9 since it first came out and it has been with me everywhere from Africa to Antarctica and never had a single problem. I've found it to be reliable, rugged, and overall to be the best SLR that I've ever used hands down (and I've used lots of them). If you're looking for a 35mm SLR, the 9 is a great choice. As far as things to look out for, make sure that you don't get one that looks too beat up. Mine wasn't babied and still looks pretty nice because the finish over the stainless steel is very durable. If you find one that looks really worn, it has probably been though a lot and should best be avoided. $300 would be a good price for a nice 9.

Hi,

Malcolm, it is easy to find them in the UK. The respected dealer Ffordes always has at least two or three, Camtech in Cambridge usually has one, check out the ads in the back pages of AP magazine..and Ffordes.com

https://secure.ffordes.com/index.htm

The expected UK dealer price is about 350-400 GBP for a mint one. personally for such a complex pro camera, I would avoid evilbay and stump up the extra cash for a warrantied dealer example..

cheers Steve.

I agree with Steven. ffordes is excellent for buying (not so great so selling sadly), but you always get the item in good condition and for a more than reasonble price I have found.

One thing you may want to consider is that some of the later versions of the 9 had the ADI metering updated and SSM updated (added to them). These versions are admittedly harder to find and seem to go for a higher price... Though that may or may not be worth it, depends on your current lenses and the ones you intend to buy I guess. Hope that helps.

Good luck with your search :)!

Steve,

There were 2 versions of the 9. There was the regular "original" 9 and the 9ti where some of the black stainless steel shell was replaced with titanium. The 9ti has silver-ish titanium panels and is easy to differentiate. It added a few custom functiosn to the original 9, but didn't add ADI metering or SSM focusing (as far as I know). Minolta offered a firmware upgrade (actually a chip replacement) to bring the original 9 to the 9ti spec. They also offered a separate (kind of) upgrade for both the 9 and the 9ti to enable ADI metering and focusing with SSM lenses.

So here is where it gets confusing. The chip replacement for both of these changes is on the same chip. When they replaced the chip, they could enable either the 9ti items or the ADI/SSM items or both. This means that if you are looking for an upgraded 9 or 9ti, then you have to check for both items.

The 9ti upgrade is pretty easy to tell. If your 9 has different custom functions than a regular 9, then it had the 9ti update. As far as I know, the ADI and SSM were on the same update, so testing for one *should* indicate the presence of the other, but I'm not 100% sure. The only way that I know of to test for the ADI/SSM update is to mount and SSM lens and see if it focuses or a D lens/ADI flash combo and see if the flash reports ADI compatibility. If I was looking, I'd test for SSM and ADI separately, just to be sure, especially if the seller is charging a premium for an "updated" 9.

I had my 9 updated to the 9ti/ADI/SSM spec as soon as I heard that KM's camera division was headed off to Sony (that's how I found all of this out). From what I heard, the upgrade was pretty rarely done, so I wouldn't count on finding an upgraded 9. You might contact Sony to see if they will still do the upgrade, but the guy I spoke with at KM didn't think that they would do it. However, it's worth a shot.

As far as I know the SSM update also adds ADI and vice versa, so it's basically the same update. On updated cameras custom function 20 (flash metering) has four possible values, while cameras without the updated only have three.

I actually had two updates done "by Sony" (Sony's service partner here in Switzerland told me, they were sent to the former Minolta service center in Bremen, Germany) of witch the later one was done about three months ago.

One thing Christopher Kink, forgot mention about the 9Ti, is that it was a limited production special edition collector model. There were only 400 made- 200 Dynax and 200 Maxxum. Each carried a three digit serial number starting with 001 and ending with 400. I believe that the Maxxums carried serial numbers 001-200. The 9Ti came in a red velvet lined, brown colored wood presentation case, and it came with a leather camera strap.

If you touched the titanium body, odds are that you would have fingerprint marks on it. When my friend let me touch his, he had me wear cotton gloves, so as not to leave fingerprints on it. He has never run a roll of film thru it.

You might be able to find one, but you'll probably pay a premium.

You could get a used regular Dynax/Maxxum 9, with or without the factory 9Ti upgrades. And if you do get one that has the additional custom functions, you have to do some reasearch to figure out what they were, as the additional functions were not in the regular 9 manual. When I had mine upgraded, my friend who owned the 9Ti photocopied the quick guide from his 9Ti, so I could see what the extra functions were. I reduced it down to the size of a business card and put it in luggage tag and attached it to the camera strap.

There was also another upgrade which was not mentioned by the other posters. I had the rubber grip of my Maxxum 9 removed and replaced with the slightly tackier one used on the 9Ti.

And if you get a Dynax/Maxxum 9 with a Vertical Grip, be aware that there were two versions made. The older VG-9 version had a steel body. It was later replaced with the VC-9M version. It was a little lighter due to it's magnesium body.

The Maxxum 9 was/is a great camera. Very rugged and dependable.

Malcolm,

The 9 is a terrific camera. Rugged, fast, and a joy to use. I bought a second one as a backup

but the original has been running without fail for 10+ years. The VC grips are hard to find

(and a little expensive) but a great addition. You could easily buy 2 Maxxum 9's for the price

of one 9Ti. I was tempted to get one (it's a beauty) but it doesn't seem like a good trade. With

the A700 and a Maxxum 9, you'd have a great digital/film setup.

• 3 months later...

Throwing in some extra coments here, the Dynax 9 is a bulletproof camera, and Sony will

eventually have a full frame sensor. So buying one now could be a great idea, as their

vaule may actually go up.

It comes with a top shutter speed of 1/12000th and also has an integrated flash...

Neither Canon nor Nikon has achieved this level. Plus nobody makes a hand grip quite like

the Minolta Dynax9, its an ergonomic wonder.

enjoy. G