maxxum lenses on minolta MD mount?

brian_valente

Hi Folks,

I know this sounds like a strange request, but I am trying to help someone get

their Sony Alpha zeiss lenses (the really nice expensive ones) to mount to an

older Minolta MD mount. No automatic capabilities need to work, just get the

lens onto the mount and be able to use the optics. I believe the zeiss lenses

have a mechanical aperture as well, so pretty much just the physical mount is

what I think we need. I've seen lots of posts on MD to maxxuum body, but this is

the reverse.

Any ideas much appreciated. Don't know if it's possible/available

Cheers

Brian

This seems crazy to me. There are tons of great Minolta MC and MD lenses out there on the aftermarket, selling for pennies on the dollar. You could end up spending 100 times as much to get the Zeiss lenses to mount on the Minolta bodies, and not see any improvement over what's available with those lenses.

But, if you are insistent on doing this, your best bet by far is to get the Zeiss lenses in a Nikon mount, and try to find an adapter for the Nikon F mount to the Minolta MD/MC mount. The flange to focal plane distances are right, with the Nikon mount being 3 mm further from the film plane than the Minolta mount. So, at least it's possible that there are adapters out there that could work (but I can't find any currently), or else, if you can't find an adapter for a reasonable price, you could pick up a nice inexpensive manual body like a Nikon FM or Nikkormat for dirt cheap (like well under $100) which will make full use of these Zeiss lenses. And once you're done, at least there's a secondary market for the Zeiss lenses in Nikon mount, so you won't get skinned too bad in buying them.

Such an adapter won't happen. There is less then 2mm to work with and the AF Alfa mount inner diameter (is too big) for the MD/MC body opening. BTW: Doesn't look like Zeiss lens for Sony Alfa has external mechanical aperture control. The Zeiss lens for Contax, Nikon and M42 does.

Yes, I realize the great MD lenses out there that are available. The situation is that we (a manufacturer) have an MD mount for precisely that reason. However, a customer mistakenly purchased these Zeiss Alfa lenses and now is panicked to get them working. That's why I'm looking for this unusual request.

it is true that maxxum lens mount appears approx 5mm larger than the MD mount. It is actually not an MD mount still camera, but a 35mm lens adapter for video cameras. If you are really curious you can check out www.redrockmicro.com

Thanks all for your input.

Brian

First, I don't know what situation led to this person purchasing hideously expensive Sony Alpha Zeiss lenses for digital cinematography, but it doesn't seem to be a mistake that one would easily make. Second, when I purchase something that does not work out, I return it for a refund. If that's not possible, there's always Ebay. He'd get most of his money back out of the transaction, purchase the right lenses, and pocket the difference (a big fat whopping difference). I'd go with one of these alternatives, rather than searching for some obscure mount that probably doesn't exist (and for good reason).