I was looking at the pre-PMA offering from Sony, and am very disappointed so

far. A few Point & Shoots, and a pro-sumer camera, but no new DSLR so far. Not

even a hint of something new in the DSLR area. Hopefully, Sony will not be a

one-trick pony. PMA is a couple of weeks away, so I'll reserve final judgement

until then. But, even if Sony does not plan to have a new DSLR ready for PMA,

it is important for them, to at the very least, show something, even if it's

under a glass dome, with armed security around it to prevent people from

getting too close.

Can you believe in a non disclosure agreement? -be patient. Think of this, how many national accounts does Sony have? International, store within a store,sony style shops, etc....can you really be so naive to think they aren't going to roll out new models of DSLRS when they claim a 2nd place end goal to Canon? Better yet why tip their full hand early? As to the the bell jar well let's hope they don't agitate us with the 9D/(Omega- end all be all) pro model. Although with the Zeiss glass in showcase from last year, it's not THAT FAR FETCHED. Notice if you will the new H9 with 3"LCD, Canon Mark3 with the same (live view too) this techno train is a comin! hang in there! I have a feeling It'll be worth the wait.

"can you really be so naive to think they aren't going to roll out new models of DSLRS when

they claim a 2nd place end goal to Canon"

You believe it? That's a great goal to have, but it's the same as a product claiming to be

'new and improved'. That phrase is aimed at investors to get them excited about Sony's

prospects, not a statement of fact.

The Alpha is a pretty good camera, but to a large extend it's because the KM 5D was a pretty good camera. But Sony has one of the best industrial design departments there is outside Apple. I have hopes they might still do something great, but it does seem that they're dragging their feet a bit.

Yes, and they also took over the whole Minolta camera department. What are all those guys doing? Changing badges to Minolta lenses to convert them to Sony's? Sony did announce that they are going to be a player. Japanese tend to be quite serious about their public statements and corporate image. But I agree, time is running out.

I was checking out the floor pan for PMA and at least Sony has a good size display area. It is about a third smaller than Canon's, about the same size as Nikon, Kodak, Fuji Film USA, and Olympus, and larger than Pentax. Having said that, it is about the same size as General Imaging which is getting into the digital camera game.

Somehow I am not feeling confident. There has not been even a tiny bit of information leaking.

Well if Sony read forums on the web like some people say they do. I hope they read this.

"If there is no significate DSLR news out of PMA. I am selling up and moving most likely to Nikon, maybe Canon. But I am really liking the Nikon D80."

Minolta's downfall in the DSLR arena was a case of 'too little, too late'. Hopefully Sony will not go the same way. At present they are a one trick pony with the entry-level A100, which is nothing more than a re-vamped D5. If they plan to been seen as a serious contender they need to show what they can do.

I find it hard to believe that Sony bought out Minolta without some sort of business plan in mind. Admittedly, the Playstation3 delays and the laptop batteries debacle will have had a huge financial impact on them, but they must know that unless they announce something (anything!) soon, then their foray into the DSLR market is dead in the water. My gut instinct tells me that Sony will not roll over quite so easily.

I remain optimistic.

Sony has been having problems with their PS3 sales. I read that due to the sales of the Nintendo WII, Sony may have to drop prices by a couple hundred dollars. They may take out the Blu-ray player to compensate. And in the European market they may drop the unit's backwards compatibility to play PS2 games. They will do this by removing the chip that allows the ability to do this. This will allow Sony to lower the price in that market. How much this will cost Sony and it's affect on money for the DSLR division hasn't been mentioned.

Sony don't read forums.

Don't expect much from them at pma.

New playstations are being released in Europe without the 'emotion' engine chip which may mean they won't play PS2 games. This isn't becuse the chips are too expensive, they cost pence, rather it's because Sony want users to download emulators (for a fee) to run old games and because they'd rather PS3 users bought new games.

Sony lenses are expensive for the same reasons, they want your money not your loyalty.

The AP article I read indicated the "new" stations would play the earlier games, but using software versus hardware. My guess is that would mean they won't play well, much like using PC or Mac software on the other platforms was using software emulations - which may mean hardly worth the effort. Obviously Sony expects this to either lose money more slowly (worst case) or actually be profitable. They don't intend the changes to worsen their financial situation. Sony has plenty of ways to make, lose or pool money. I doubt the money flows will be public information except to the extent required to meet financial disclosure laws for tax, stockholder and trading purposes. Sony will otherwise disclose or hold information at their pleasure and not to satisfy the whims of their numerous customers, whether we like it or not.

If Sony doesn't release a higher end camera than the Alpha before 2008 - I'm gone. It sickens me that they have done close to zero since announcing that they wanted to move into the #2 spot (or so I recall). I'm just frustrated. My 7D is great but it's going on antiquated and by 2008 I'm going to need to upgrade. The no news of any sort while Nikon and Canon keep producing is tough to take.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm .. many comments, but note that Sony is #3 or even #2 in many markets with only one camera, competing against entire new and mature model lines of cameras from other manufacturers, so it makes sense to me that they'd satisfy the existing pent-up demand for the Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 first.

Regarding a Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 II, all I'd want is a second generation high ISO intelligent noise-reduction ... and a second control dial ... and ... oh, I'll stop there.

Cross category wise, I think the Sony DSC-R1 needs an R2 with anti shake, er, super steady shot, more zoom ... anyway, I like TTL EL EVF * and in many ways perfer mine to a DSLR anyway.

My next camera? Konica Minolta DiMage A2 as a backup for my Minolta DiMage A1. Otherwise, I print fine to 11x8.5" ($99US Epson Stylus Photo R220 8.5" wide with dye ink) and want larger prints, so I might even spring for a ~$1,300US Epson Stylus Pro 3800 17" wide with UltraChrome K3 ink over the ~$400US Epson Stylus Photo 1400 13" wide with Claria Hi-Definition Ink.

Anyway, what does anyone NEED, really, for their photography, gear wise, aside from wanting Sony to have a full line regardless if we buy or not? For me, it's not always a new camera.

* TTL EL EVF = Through The Lens, Eye Level, Electronic View Finder