robert_paul1

I see that Sony has released a Memory Stick Pro that has up to 32MB of

capacity. While most photographers would probably not buy one, rather choosing

to have several MS with less capacity in case of a problem, so not to lose all

their work, does anyone know how many photos this can hold? Yes, I know it

depends on several factors, but given the capacity of the A100, how many will

it hold, (jpeg, raw, jpeg+raw)? What if Sony came out with a Full-Frame 16-

20MP sensor DSLR?

Sony has not released that 32MB stick, Robert, merely 'announced' they intend to start

development of it. Right now it is still only a theoretical product.

Sony states "the Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo media will be made available in 2007", which

is a pretty vague announcement, afaic.

How many exposures it will hold depends on their size and your math skills.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/AA100/AA100A6.HTM

Gives capacity based on a 256MB card.

I was going to guess that as my D200 shows it should hold 60 RAW on a 1 gig card the A200 would be similar, and so the 16 estimated seems pretty close. So 16 per gig x 32 gig = 512.

A 20MP would likely be 2x the size of a 10MP camera file, so it would hold half that. Combined RAW+JPGs would be fewer.

Link: http://www.dpreview.com/news/article_print.asp?date=0612&article=06121101memorystickprohg "... Sony Memory Stick Pro-HG, up to 32 GB ... SanDisk and Sony have today announced the development of the new 'Pro-HG' Memory Stick format which is designed to deliver faster continuous write speeds (up to 60 MB/sec) and larger capacities. This new format appears to be aimed more at future flash based video recorders. It would appear as though this new format will only be available in the 'Duo' size ..."

"... appears to be aimed more at future flash based video recorders ..." Hmm, a Sony video recorder technology support thread in the [sony/Minolta SLR System] forum - GOOD for us for not to being too strickt in interpreting the purpose for being here! ;-)

Two points:

1 - I tend to LIKE a memory card capacity that matches the capacity of the battery. For my MDA1 Minolta DiMage A1, that's a 1gb CF card per battery, ~135 RAW pictures (I've never cared how many JPGs will fit, I shoot ONLY RAW!). I have a 2gb card but prefer to use it only with my VCG vertical control grip / twin-battery holder for that camera so changing a full memory card corresponds to when I need to change batteries at the same time the card fills up. This camera seems to have a 1gb/battery relationship.

2 - For pre-2+gb operating systems such as in my camera, has anyone tried adding a second partition above 2gb as supplemental storage invisible to the camera, but still letting the camera use the first 2gb? (Do NOT reformat the card in-camera or the 2nd partition will disappear!). I often move images for temporary storage out of the camera's default locations so it can't see them.

Okay, three:

3 - Has anyone found a MSD-CF or SD-CF adapter for sale (and used it) so we can use MSD or SD cards in our CF slots?

MSD = Memory Stick Due

SD = Secure Digital

CF = Compact Flash

Okay, that's 2 points and 2 questions, sort of.

-- Click! Peter Blaise, Minolta Rokkor Alpha DiMage Photographer

PS - I find that my Lexar Wa Write Accelerated CF cards at 80x seems FASTER than generic 133x CF cards, so I think Lexar and Minolta had an unannounced design technology exchange. Has anyone noticed Lexar Wa CF card comparative performance also in the Sony Alpha versus non-Wa CF cards at ANY otherwise rated speed?

Okay, lots of points and questions. Fun thread.

From what I read, 'licensing for the development of MS PRO-HG compliant host devices is scheduled to commence in January 2007'. Guess that means the Consumer Electronic Show will probably see the new MS at the Sony booth. Hopefully, Sony will have a few products at the show that can use this. I'll have to drop by the Sony display and look at what they have. Can't wait!!!

• 4 weeks later...

"Okay, three:

3 - Has anyone found a MSD-CF or SD-CF adapter for sale (and used it) so we can use MSD or SD cards in our CF slots?"

My Sony Alpha-100 came with MS Pro Duo->CF adapter, so I didnt have to search for it ;-) I also bought a SD->CF adapter.

Have a visit to 'Memory cards' part of the forum :-) There are several links to sites that sell these things.

I have used both and my verdict goes: if data transfer speed matters to you - avoid.