reflection screens, and MD 85mm f/2

jeroen_b1

hello minolta friends,

I have been reading some good photography books from John Freeman, he uses

(portabel) reflection screens when shooting portraits.

Now my question: what is a good portable reflection screen? I have seen a lot of

different models and colors, white, gold, silver, etc. What is a good brand for

an amateur (price wise), and what is a good size?

My main interest is portraits, but I think you can use these screens for all

kind of subjects.

To keep it on-topic: Minolta MD 85mm f/2 vs 100mm f/2.5, any difference in real

life situations and small prints, like 13 x 18 cm?. I have spotted a mint 85mm,

but my budget is a bit too tight....

I use Photoflex diffusers and reflectors. They are priced right and the support "band" is sturdy enough for almost all but very windy conditions. As for which model and size; it depends on what your use with be. There is one made that has different removable zip covers over a white diffuser. This way you could diffuse light or add the appropriate cover and reflect light. A little more expensive initially, but cheaper than buying three individually. My preference for reflected light is the zebra gold/silver. Some prefer silver for b/w portraits in the studio. Use black for subtracting light. Hope this helps and good shooting.

Glen W.

Photoflex, have to search for a shop that sells them. I have only seen Falcon Eyes and Lastolite screens. Indeed a multi color (and purpose?) screen is more handy, in the end it all has to fit in my photo bag.

The 85mm f/2... very very tempting, don't know why actually, but it's hard to resist. It's a shame this one still has to cost 160+ euro.

• 1 month later...

Well... we all know buying lenses is adictive...

Got the 85mm f/2 after all, haven't seen it yet, it's on his way. Will search for a good deal for the MD 24mm now (and then my MF set will be definitly complete, I swear... 24mm, 35mm, 50mm, 50macro, 85mm, 100mm, 100macro, 135mm).

Next object of desire will be the reflection screens and a couple of gradual ND filters, probably Cokin, although I guess for wide angle you need the expensive pro series adapter, the P adapter is for 28mm or above.

• 2 months later...

Got some Walimex (cheap brand) relection screens. It's a round metal ring with a semi transparant difuser, and an extension, a kind of round bag with a zipper, four different colored sides: black, silver, gold, white. together 5 colors. 50cm when in use, folded it's a small package, fits easily in my photobag.

Now I have to find (and pay) an assistent to hold it... :-)