using Maxxum 4000AF flash on X-700

johndc

My family has a history of buying Minolta cameras, starting with the SRT-201,

then the X-700 and finally the Maxxum 7000. I have inherited the X-700, which I

love, and I'm wanting to take some flash photos with it. We used to have a

matching 280PX flash head, but can't seem to locate it anywhere. However, I have

gotten ahold of the Maxxum 4000AF flash head. What I want to know is: will the

TTL on the X-700 work with this unit or should I just go ahead and buy an

x-series flash (prob the 320PX). Thanks!

It MIGHT work in manual mode - we'll have to do more of an Internet search for other user's experiences. I have the Minolta AEF Auto Electro Flash PX-360 on my Minolta X-700 and love it. The Minolta X-700 was Minolta's first computerized camera and the flashes that match are a perfect fit, and the later model flashes were designed best for the later model camera's computers, so it's not a perfect match, and was not intended to be, and Minolta knew they were bifurcating their market whith manual focus and auto focus as totally different gear from each other, and they never revisited manual focus after the overwhelming success of their auto focus cameras. By the way, the Minolta X-700, their last manual focus design, was the world's best seller of it's type in it's day, and the Minolta Alpha/Dynax/Maxxum 7000 AF was the world's best seller of it's type in it's day. Minolta had back to back, simultaneous world's best sellers. Oh, how the mighty have fallen! Anyway, let us know what you find in a deeper Internet search for the compatibility of the middle years of Minolta flashes - the AF with ISO foot but NOT for the older manual focus cameras! -- Click! Peter Blaise, Minolta Rokkor Alpha DiMage Photographer