What happened here?

marc_van_lommel

I researched further and found that previous pics from other shoots had similar defects, I was unable to open them with lightroom but openen them in Sony's data converter and got the same results ... and from both shoots the pics are close to the same numbering ... I guess it's my SD card ... I use that with a converter SD->CF.

I guess it's better to return the card as long as the warranty is valid ... only 2 months old ...

I've had something similar happen once, maybe a couple more that I didn't recognize (but doubt it). It seems it happens in the camera. The raw corrupts but the jpg preview is there and appaers during conversion, then drops away as the conversion occurs - to the bad image. I think it's a memry problem but unless you see it again, soon, I'd susupect it's not a card or camera problem, just some weird freak occurence.

This will happen when you download a web image and switch to another task before it is fully loaded onto your hard disk. Check your card and download the specific images again. They may be alright.

The file is corrupted. There's no ready way to know how it happened in camera except to try to recall if you changed a setting, opened the memory compartment, turned off the power, etc ... something that interupted the upload of the image to the card at the moment these spoiled images were shot. It's usually a random event because reproducing the circumstance will likely not be easy to repeat.

Though I think your picture files are corrupt and whatever was in the original capture is lost and did not make it to the card, you're all welcome to try demonstration and educational review copies of recovery software from http://briefcase.yahoo.com/peterblaise - click on [install], and then [image-rescue] and [photo-mechanic] - remember, they're demo copies, so please delete after testing and reporting back how they work for you - thanks, and you're welcome. -- Click! Peter Blaise, Minolta Rokkor Alpha DiMage Photographer