studio flash and alpha 100

scott_lewis3

The Fill Flash setting on the camera will work just fine. Since the FS-1100 is a passive adapter (does not reduce voltage from the connected device) you'll want to make sure the trigger voltage on any remote trigging device or exteral flash you attach to the camera via adapter, is low enough so it won't damage the camera. If you haven't purchased the FS-1100 yet I'd suggest a generic passive adapter that includes a PC Sync terminal (which the FS-1100 doesn't have) so you can fire studio flashes directly. Again, do this only if the studio strobes have a low trigger voltage. If any of the external flash equipment you are attaching to the camera produces trigger voltage more than 6V, you may consider buying a Wein Safe-Sync for 40-60 dollars. The Maxxum/Alpha cameras should handle around 250V but why risk it. The Wein adapter reduces voltage of the attached device from a max of 450V to around 6V.

In my case I use AlienBee strobes which produce less then 6V trigger voltage so the generic passive adapter which can be found on EBay for 10-20 dollars works great with my Sony Alpha.<div>00IK8m-32802884.jpg.87a377c6c4de04bc1b401fdaba6b9f6e.jpg</div>

Sony A100 is essentially a modified 5D, which is a modified 7D, so I think the FS-1100 is safe to use on all three cameras. I also believe the new Sony Flashes are re-badged Minotla gear so I would find it hard to believe Sony bothered to change the A100's flash connection assembly. Unless to improve it. If it works with the 7D there should be no reason it won't work with the A100, especially in 'Fill Flash' mode. Again, the caveat is that the FS-1100 is a passive adapter so whatever external flash device(s) you use should have low trigger volts, otherwise it could damage all three cameras if used with them.