Meter Readouts: SRT-vs-XE-5 Differences?

gary_watson

I was considering a mint XE-5 but was a bit baffled by the viewfinder meter

readout relative to the SRT 101's that I'm well-acquainted with. Unlike the SRT

that has a needle indicating shutter speed and another showing aperture, the

XE5 seems to have single needle without another to indicate change in aperture.

As it is, it seems to be stuck in "auto"(apertute priority)mode with the lone

needle pointing to a shuuetr speed. Is something broke or am I missing a second

needle indicating aperture in manual mode? Any chance this is a battery issue

(test light glows), since the needle movement seems sluggish--old age or

failing CDS cells, perhaps? Thanks, as usual.

Thanks, James. I was stupidly looking for another needle or coloured bar indicating set shutter speed, which I think the higher-end XE-7 had. I'm still concerned about the sluggish meter needle. Nice camera though I'm trying-vainly-to resist buying any more '70s gems.

Resistance is futile so why bother? Jim - The owner of 2 7sIIs, a 7S, a XE-7, a XD-7, a XG-7, a X-700 (chrome body), a X-7, a X-7A, a SR-7, a SRT-101, a SRT, 101b, etc., etc., etc.,! Even though I don't shoot them much since getting my 7D DSLR I still get them out and fondle them on a regular basis. Those solid metal bodies just feel so nice to the hands.<div>00II3O-32751084.jpg.0c262e21550b97c62b9b5ed7eacf8565.jpg</div>

Gary,

But in this case "Resistance" might be a problem! Literally. Sounds like this camera needs service. From experience I can tell you that the XE-5 and XE-7 have problems with the Variable Resisters located under the ASA and EV compensation switches can become oxidized/dirty. Also the MC coupling pin and related mechanism on the lens mount, which follows the Aperture pin on lens can become gummed up causing the pin not to follow the aperture change made when you turn the aperture ring -- could be the problem with the XE-5 that you are looking at.

That said the SRT series is a mechanical camera with light meter and needle matching. But you can only see the selected aperture at the top of the viewfinder on the SRT-102 and SRT-202. The meter itself does not show any aperture value. The XE-5 is an aperture priority electronic shutter camera, for the most part, except at the bulb setting. There are two main difference between the XE-5 and XE-7: the XE-5 is chrome and the XE-7 is black. And the SE-7 shows the set aperture at the top of the viewfinder, like the SRT-102/202.

Hope this helps.

Robert