KM7D & Sigma EF 500 DG Super

tmhutchins

I have a problem!! This flash is meant to be fully compatible with the 7D and

B&H Photo Video even recommended it to me as a good alternative to the 5600HSD

which is not being made anymore (Sony will release a re-badged one, but when?).

I needed a flash for a wedding and just couldn't get my hands on a Minolta one.

I received this Sigma flash last night and put it on the Hot Shoe, set the 7D

to program mode and tried it out. It fired at full power burning out all

detail. I tried a few other settings with the same result. Are there people in

this forum that have experiences with this flash? If so I really want to know

if I'm doing anything wrong before I send it back. I could have the camera,

flash or both setup incorrectly as I'm inexperienced with external flash use.

I would be suprised if Adorama, B&H + Sigma all recommend this flash for use

with the 7D & 5D and it is found to be useless.

I don't know, this is the first external flash I have ever owned and I think I'll be returning it for them to replace. It over exposes by +2 when pointed at the subject and under exposes by -2 when using bounce flash. It only works when set on FP mode whatever that is so I guess ADI and PTTL won't work. You said it worked well on your camera, was it also a 7D? It is digital that this particular flash seems to have trouble with.

Only the newest firm ware is compatible with the 7d. If they have had it on the shelves for a while then it wont have the newest firm ware. Unfortunately the firmware in a flash isn�t so easy to update. I bought on when they first came out and got several answers from sigma as to what could be the problem in the end it turned out they had imported a few older models and I had struck one of them. Contact Sigma in your area and see what they say.

Elija - I have used all the metering modes with the same result. The flash functions when the mode named "FP" is shown on the flash LCD Screen but even then it over exposes by 2 stops and when bounced the flash needs to be set at -2 or even -3. THe s/n begins with 70... which I have found is an older one. To be fully compatible it must begin with an 8. It does seem like a good flash, but I'll get it replaced with the newer one and then when I can know for sure that it is just a chipping issue and I have a fully functional model I'll do a review on the flash as an cheaper alternative to the Minolta ones. Seems there hasn't been many product reviews lately and Minolta flash reviews could help others with and flash issues. If anyone knows of other compatible flashes that could be reviewed then do it because it will be helpful to all us Minolta users.