I already have a buying plan

james_frater

Okay, I have decided thus.

When the First Sony Alpha A100 hits the shelves, I will sit, wait and ponder.

That is until the next model comes out. I am assuming it will be an upgraded

model from the A100, (hopefully an upgrade from the 7D specs).

That is when I will be going in, either with the first release model or

hopefully the upgraded model to sit next to my 7D.

I am already attracted to the 10mp A100 model, but will just wait for the next

camera to hit the shelves, which I think will be not so long after.

No, the new Sony models have the 10mp sensor. Now of course size is not everything, but it is a big improvement over the KM models. And when road tested hope the image quality is excellent and even imporoved on the current 5 & 7D models.

And with my inkjet printer I have been getting more and more into larger prints, A4, A3 for example. And in certain cases, the 6mp size does show.

I have a 7D, and will not get another one, not when a higher pixel version is coming out.

As far as I can tell the Sony Alpha 100 has better specs than the KM 5D and 7D - or am I missing something? The only thing that seems to be missing is a (studio) flash sync terminal... And the flash sync speed of 1/160 is a bit disappointing too but other then that really a great camera, especially when you consider the price.

<i>> I have a 7D, and will not get another one, not when a higher pixel version is coming out.</i>

<p/>Now that is what i like to hear! If everyone dumps their old, low megapixel, models i could scoop them up and form a whole school of apprentices shooting low light venues using the very best cameras yet made for the purpose! And i will have no competition as everyone else will be holding expensive new toys with a stop or two less low light performance. And by their buying patterns they will be convincing Japan Inc that there is no market for quality sensors, only for high megapixel counts. my school will be the only photogs competitive in flash free low light venues. No one else will only be able to get sharper images without buying G class glass, even in good light, while my students can choose from a raft of legacy lenses, now much cheaper. They will shoot faster and more efficiently into smaller storage and processing equipment suites. Now that's a plan!

<p/>i knew there had to be <b>some</b> upside to Sony's idiocy. Being the contrarian has such sweet payoffs. my only worry is Pentax/Samsung may succeed in creating competitors for my school and supply them with a continuing stream of new technology well suited to low light work, using even less expensive glass.

<p/>Well, by your kind donations the future may yet belong to Minoltians! Be happy to provide the mailers for your tired old machines, maybe tax write offs too.

"As far as I can tell the Sony Alpha 100 has better specs than the KM 5D and 7D - or am I missing something?"

You are missing something. The Alpha does...:

not have 3200 ISO, not have an option of a Vertical Grip (very important to me), have a small buffer (not as many RAW bursts)

I am sure there are many other things it does not have. Also some things it does have. But for me it is squarely a 5d replacement. The 7D replacement should have a vertical grip option, a much larger buffer, etc.

I am sure it will take very good photographs and the 10m sensor should be a good thing. But I think I will wait for the Alpha 200 to arrive.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Jimmy, that was really funny.... sit, wait and ponder. Also, it is really surprising how people (me included) go deep into what's not important here.... talking about your plan.

Come on Jim!! Go out and get your Sony a100 off the shelves. You are going to like it. Otherwise you will have to wait a year or more. Sony is not going to launch another one until they see how a100 impacts the market. And when they launch a new one, the camera is going to be targeted for the professionals (not me), which means $$$$$ very high price; which at least me could not afford.

Have you taken a look to the page below?

http://www.dyxum.com/columns/other/sony/alpha100/Sony_Alpha_100_on_the_web.asp

I am still shooting film with my Maxxum 7 (sorry about that, just got it last October). However I will jump into digital very soon. The Maxxum 7D is really great, but I wanted to wait for the new comer as Minolta stopped operations in January (as you may know), and common sense told something better was going to come. Indeed, (it is here) the a100 is 10MP, design is better, it is lighter, CCD size bigger, etc., etc., etc., and for only US$900 a body!!! It is a bargain.

Please take a look to the comparison 5D, 7D, a100 below:

http://www.dyxum.com/columns/other/sony/alpha100/Sony_alpha_comparision.asp

Come on Jim, don't wait. Read, go out and check it out!!

By the time you get aquainted with it you can go for the higher model, if any, whenever it comes out.

For now I will just sit and wait...., and see what happens. Hahahahahahaha!!! Just kidin man.