Minolta MD, advice please....

jeroen_b1

hello group,

I am wondering these days, what LAST lens(es) do I want to get next....

At this moment I have an X-500 & XD-7 with MD rokkor 50 f/1.7 and 35 f/2.8, and

a plain MD 135 f/2.8.

I like to get my MD prime set (no zooms) complete, have looked on e-bay and

other second hand stuff what to get next:

a 50mm f/3.5 macro with the 1:1 adapter (lost a couple of auctions)

a 100mm f/2,5 (almost had one for a good price... bad luck)

Or a 100m f/3.5 macro? I have found one for 150 euro, don't know about adapters.

Price is a bit too high for my taste, but maybe....

Anyone has experience with the 100mm f/3.5 macro? Can it replace the 100mm f/2.5

for portrait work? (and the 50mm for the macro?) I have a Cosina 100mm f/3.5

macro already for AF.

I also found a 28mm f/2.8 MD rokkor in good shape for 25 euro's, but this isn't

an amazing lens, so I think I will let it go. I have enough wide angle options

with my AF set. (24mm prime, 24-50, 28-85, 28-135, 28 f/2.8 prime)

Anyone has some advice for me? (I have lost also a couple of XE-7 auctions, 120+

euro is to much for me....)

bye& thanks,

Jeroen

The 100 2.5 is a lovely lens, handles beautifully. The 85mm f2 is also a beauty and a great portrait lens. I'd go for either of these, but they're not cheap. Although you've got the 135 2.8, the 3.5 is dirt cheap and a lot sharper lens to use. Other md lenses I use a lot despite a very full AF set are the 16mm 2.8 and the 50mm f1.2. Both sensible prices.

Don't get the 100mm f/3.5 Macro - it is big, heavy and does not perform as well as the 100mm f/4 that was released later. Look on the Rokkor Files for the comparison.

I would get the following:

24mm f/2.8 MD or MD Rokkor - great lens and a good wide angle

85mm f/2 MD or MD Rokkor - awesome portrait lens

100mm f/4 Macro

200mm f/4 MD Rokkor - cheap (under US$80) and sharp.

Cheers,

Antony

www.rokkorfiles.com

okay, thanks guys!

I will forget the 100mm f/3.5 macro & 50mm macro. I think I will keep trying to get a 85mm or 100mm f/2.5.

The 200mm f/4, don't know, I think 135mm is long enough for my MD set. I have for AF a 100-200, 70-210 f/3.5-4.5, 70-210 f/4 and 75-300 (old one). I always thought the MD 200mm f/4 isn't that special (read is somewhere)?.

Interesting that the 135 f/3.5 is better than the 135 f/2.8? Maybe stopped down a bit, and the f/2.8 is better wide open? That is what I would think.

I agree with Antony's list of lenses, except that I highly recommend you consider the Vivitar Series 1 90mm/2.5 Macro lens instead of the 85mm/2 and the 100mm/4 macro. You'll save a lot of money and get a good portrait lens (f/2.5 is good enough usually)and a stunning macro lens in one. The only two downsides is the prestige of a true Rokkor lens and the fact that like the Rokkor 100/3.5 macro, the Vivitar is a big/heavy lens.

However, in the interest of full disclosure, I have bought a Viv S1 macro in M42 mount for use with my EOS system. I use that for macro exclusively now, largely because of the TTL flash capability that I do not think (I very well could be wrong) your XD-7 has. (So, while I love my Minolta mount Vivitar lens, it does not get as much use any more.) So for macro, you may want to rely on your AF system instead and concentrate on a good portrait lens for your manual system.

In that case, look at Antony's review of 85mm lenses in Rokkorfile.com. You may prefer the bokeh of the old MC Rokkor 85mm/1.7 over the edge-to-edge sharpness improvement of the 85/2. But if you were an astrophotography fanatic like me, the 85/2 may be your best bet overall. So it really all depends on your individual needs.

Well, I've got a nice offer for a 100mm f/2.5 in good shape. I think I will do it... (100 euro's). If I do it, it will be the last lens for a long time! I only have seen one 85mm f/2 for 180 euro, that is too much for me.

I guess the Vivitar serie 1 macro is a little bit hard to find, if it crosses my path I will think about it. I do have a Cosina 100mm macro for AF, I need to use that one a lot more too justify a MD macro lens.