Any experiences with service/support since hand over?

tmorgan

Hi.

<br><br>

I am curious if any one has had any experience with service or support since the Sony take

over?

<br><br>

I have an 5600 HS(D) that is under exposing on a 7 D and am curious about what I am in for

in getting it serviced.

<br><br>

Thanks for any info.

<br><br>

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp...Tom M

Just sent my 7D in (dropped it) to the Sony repair center in Laredo, TX. They in turn sent it to Precision Camera in Enfield, CT (5 Miles from my house). They were one of Konica-Minolta's authorized repair centers. Had my 430RZ repaired there and they did a good job with that. Been there about a week now. Let you know how it turns out.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is an update on 'service since hand over'.

<br><br>

<ul>

<li>I called the KM support number, and they answered (good sign :-)

<li>The instructions were to pack the camera and flash and send it to Precision, in

Connecticut

</ul>

I just sent the camera out, I'll report back after the adjustment/service is completed.

<br><br>

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp...Tom M

Update on my experience. Since Sony sent it to Precision, it was repaired and sent back to Sony in Laredo. That was 2 weeks ago. Since then no-one can tell me where my camera is. Sony thinks it got sent back to Precision because Precision is supposed to send it directly back to the customer. However, the UPS tracking number that was listed is not a valid tracking number so they can't prove to Precision that they have it. Stay Tuned.

• 2 weeks later...
Update - Finally got my camera back after 1 and 1/2 months. it is not fixed. Case is still broken, parts I sent back with the camera missing. No explanation, no paperwork - nothing. Emailed Sony got a response saying that they would not do anything over email and that I have to call customer service back.

Here is the result of my service experience with Precision.

<br><br>

The camera and flash were sent in on 5/22 and were returned today, 6/8. No charge was

made to me, the work was done under warranty.

<br><br>

The flash continues to underexpose; there is no indication that anything was done to

adjust the flash/camera.

<br><br>

The service record indicates general maintenance, calibration and cleaning actions; there

is no mention of any action taken with respect to the flash under exposure. The only

action mentioned that might have had an effect on the under exposure was 'software

update'.

<br><br>

This is disappointing, since I sent in 4 pages of documentation of the problem (basically a

table stating the comparison of histograms of the same scene, using the pop up flash, a

3600 and the 5600 in various direct and bounce configurations. The 5600 consistenly

underexposes in every mode except wireless.

<br><br>

This is the sort of service that indicates bad quality control; if the error is evident within a

minute or two after return of the equipment, it means that the quality control at Precision

is inadequate.

<br><br>

I am going to follow up with letters to both KM/Sony service and Precision, I'll report back

on the results of doing so.

<br><br>

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp ...Tom M

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an update on the servicing of the 5600HS(D).

<br><br>

I contacted Sony support. This time they assigned a Sony tracking number and had me

pack up just the flash and send it back to Precision.

<br><br>

The flash has been with Precision since June 14.

<br><br>

In the course of looking into flash vs 7D under exposure issues, I found this

<a href=http://www.pbase.com/jcockfield/image/59025107/original.jpg>useful capture

</a>of a KM support site posting (made prior to hand off to Sony).

<br><br>

I'll post again when the flash is returned.

<br><br>

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp ...Tom M

• 3 weeks later...

Additional SPECIFIC addresses and phone numbers and experience going on at

"Has anyone used Sony service for their Minolta yet - how'd it go?"

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00HEkO

http :// www.photo . net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00HEkO

Click!

Love and hugs,

Peter Blaise peterblaise@yahoo.com Minolta Photographer (hesitant to buy into Sony) http://www.peterblaisephotography.com/

Further update on my saga. Drove to Precision camera dropped the camera off. Followed progress on website - when showed repaired I went to pick it up. Wasn't repaired and note attached said it was unrepairable, I asked why it wasn't repairable and was not able to get a good answer. The service manager said he would take it and talk to the tech the next day. I called to get a status and was told they would be drafting and explanation that would be sent to me. I waited 2 weeks and finally went to pick up the camera. They returned it to me with no explanation as to why it couldn't be repaired. The only explanation I was offered was that because Minolta was out of the business they might not have been able to get a new pop-up flash to replace my broken one. Meanwhile Sony has not responded with any explanation or any offer to help out.

Yet another thread at

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00HH7H

... is it time we bombarded Sony in the trade press and get them to re-hire Minolta people to take care of Minolta gear?

Hello, PopPhoto thread in the making?

Sony depends on good publicity and PopPhoto for the success of their Sony Alpha A100 - how's the time to demand something from them before we fork over any monies for new "Sony" logo-d-Minolta gear.

Thoughts?

Click!

Love and hugs,

Peter Blaise peterblaise@yahoo.com Minolta Alpha Photographer http://www.peterblaisephotography.com/

PS - The flash can only be tuned ON your camera - send them BOTH in - otherwise, it merely "works" in their tests and they send it back. Minolta knew how to tweak them together, Sony does not.

Regarding parts, all I can think of is to CALL Konica Minolta Digital Product Support: 1-877-462-4464 FIRST to find out which address may have the parts - but still, they have no control over the subsequent service people to fulfill our expectations. Dang - quite a mess.

Also keep track of repair for Minolta DiMage A1 with dead Sony CCD at:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00HEkO&tag=

I received my flash back from Precision Camera today, and it now exposes correctly with

my Maxxum 7D.

The re-cap for this repair sequence is:

<ul>

<li>5/22/06 Camera and flash sent in for adjustment of under exposure with 7D

<li>6/6/06 Camera and flash returned, with no change in under exposure

<li>6/14/06 Flash sent back for re-repair

<li>7/11/06 Response to status inquiry was 'waiting for parts'

<li>7/19/06 Flash returned, no longer under exposing with Maxxum 7D

</ul>

The repair ticket states that the following actions were taken

<ul>

<li>Adjusted power out level

<li>Complete calibration

<li>A complete repair and return all functions to factory levels

<li>General test, check clean and reapir all functions and systems

</ul>

The work was done under the six month refurbished equipment warranty I had for the

flash. <br>I will shoot a roll of film on a Maxxum 7 this weekend, and check to see if the

flash continues to expose correctly on the film body.

<br><br>

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp ...Tom M

• 2 weeks later...

The roll of film that I exposed with the 5600 HS(D) after it was adjusted for use with the 7D is

fine. The flash is now working as expected with both the Maxxum 7 and Maxxum 7D

<br><br>

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp...Tom M

• 1 month later...