hello group,

I am wondering these days, a manual focus system would be a nice

extra to my Minolta AF set. I think a part of the photo hobby is

testing stuff, and look in shops for real bargains. With Minolta MF

it is a lot better shopping. For AF I am satisfied with my set, I

don't want to buy a 28/f2, 35/f2 or 100/f2, too expensive, even

second hand.

I see a lot of cheap Minolta MF stuff out there, I have read some on

the web, sites like Rokkor files and Mikkonis.

If I go into manual focus I would like to get a XD-7/11 or a

X500/570. The XD-7 is a bit expensive, I think I can get a X500 for

25 to 30 euro's.

Lenses chould be the early MD Rokkor lenses, in some cases the plain

MD should be ok (like a 50/f1.7). A set of 3 or 4 Minolta primes

would be enough, like a 24mm, a 50mm, and a 85 or 135, and maybe in

future a longer one, like 200mm or 300mm (I don't use tele's that

much)

On the other hand, getting a M42 adapter is also a nice idea in

combination with my Minolta AF bodies. Maybe buy an exotic russian

Zenitar lens, or get old M42 Pentax lensen. Problem is I don't have

a clue to get info about M42 lenses, like Takumar?

my questions (a lot...):

I guess M42 and Minolta AF have to be operated in the same way? use

the meter, manually focus and choose aperture, let the camera choose

the shutterspeed, right?

What would be wiser, going into M42 mount or into MF? I think MF an

M42 is both good fun.

Getting the XD-7/11 or X-500/570?

And maybe someone can guide me to Pentax/M42 sources, or has some

details about good lenses?

thanks & bye,

Jeroen

Yes, M42 lenses behave the same when adapted to non-M42 cameras - stop down metering, manual focus, auto shutter on those cameras with auto shutter, manual shutter otherwise.

However, I have such joy AUTOMATICALLY using the entire range of apertures a lens has to offer. I LOVE the auto exposure features of my Minolta SR/MC/MD/X-600 lenses and cameras.

I seldom if ever use my M42 lenses for anything but slow, patient, diligent tripod macro shots.

For walkaround usability, it's hard to beat pre-focusing with a 45mm f/2 or even a 50mm f/2 and letting the camera take it from there.

Bear in mind that the XD-series is the world's first multi mode camera (auto shutter or auto aperture, actually falling back to correct either at the aperture or shutter extreames) and the X-700/500 series offer TTL OTF flash (a Minolta invention and patent) along with auto aperture/shutter/both, and an adjusted auto shutter curve to help prevent recording camera/photographer shake.

Go to http://www.keh.com/ and http://www.cameta.com/ and other used resources and you see that can build MORE Minolta manual focus SYSTEMS for under !$100US than any other make!

Only form the Mind of Minolta - wonderful cameras from technical designers and engineers who actual USED their cameras!

Click!

Love and hugs,

Peter Blaise peterblaise@yahoo.com Minolta Photographer http://www.peterblaisephotography.com/

PS - As an alternative to interchangeability, why not consider Tamron's used and NEW AdaptAll lenses which fit and work and maintain auto features? You can even get a 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 super zoom that will adapt AND work automatically on many manual focus cameras, and even adapt to your Minolta AF though again THAT would be stop down metering and of course NO auto focus. Anyway, Tamron has always offered interchangeability with T-mount lenses and addedd full function with Adaptall lenses.

Jeroen,

I have a handful of superb Pentax SMC Super Takumars at home that I still use from time to time. (The 50mm f/1.4 with the slightly radioactive glass is great!). However I use them on a M42 body or a bellows because the M42 to Minolta AF adapter that I got with my 8mm f/3.5 Peleng fisheye doesn't seem to work well with the rest of my lenses.

Has anyone had any luck with M42 to Minolta AF adapters? I thought that the Flange distance was deeper in the Minolta AF bodies than the M42 ones, so that the lenses wouldn't focus to infinity.

If you can get the adapter to work, there are plenty of great M42 lenses out there. But I agree with Peter that once you are used to open aperture metering, stop-down metering is a pain with no real upside.

thanks guys!

I had found http://www.rugift.com for some info about Zenitar lenses. Didn't know about the problem with infinity focus, I thought it would work. The other link was in Russian, couldn't translate it with babblefish.

Anyway, now I know M42 is a bit of hard work, I think I will go for a XD-7 and one or two primes. If I think it's fun, and the pictures are good, I can always get a cheap x-500 in future to compare these two camera's.

Update: have lost an auction for a XD-7 (overbid at 60 euro) in the last seconds, but got a second hand X-500 for 28 euro's in my area, no battery & no lenses, I think a good price. Now it's time for getting some MD-Rokkor lenses, I think I will start with a 35mm, and a longer one, maybe 85 or 100. That will do.

That XD-7, I don't know if that price of 60 is cheap or expensive. I know I have a 600SI for 50 euro, and a 7000 for 25, so I guess 60 is expensive?

"MD-Rokkor lenses, I think I will start with a 35mm, and a longer one, maybe 85 or 100. "

<P>

I agree with your choices here - but it may not agree with your pocketbook! These lenses are a little more rare and sometimes pricey.

<P>

You will certainly not be disappointed with the MD-Rokkor 50 f/1.7 - and these are available at truly bargain prices.

<P>

And a 135mm is nice enough while you wait track down a 100.

<P>

The <a href="http://www.rokkorfiles.com">RokkorFiles</a> is a good place to start learning about the range of lenses available (now that it is after April 1 :)

The reason I think about a 35 and a 85 or 100 is I already own a complete AF set, with 24/28/50/135 primes and a lot of zoom lenses.

If I see a good MD-rokkor 50mm f/1.7 I will think about it, it could be handy. I still have to get an idea about prices of the 85 and 100, maybe the 135 is liek you said a better idea, I see lots of them available, f/2.8 and f/3.5.

Another XD-7, maybe... I still like the idea to try that one also. I am thinking about selling my AF24-50 lens and get a XD for the money.

Strange, when you start searching for stuff, you get everything at the same time. Before I bought my x-500, I offered someone a small amount for a brand new Hama M42 adapter. After the x-500 buy I now also have the adapter, it's was so cheap I had to do it!

The Hama adapter does focus to infinity someone said at Dyxum.com (on a digital camera).

I will put the adapter in the closet, can't afford to get a set of MD-Rokkor lenses and M42 lenses at the same time. And I need to save some money for a holiday-travel, that's (IMHO) the best investment for beautiful pictures, not lenses.

I am filling my own topic, that's a not o.k, but the Hama adapter is cancelled, the guy sold it twice. Just got a phone call from someone that he accepted my bid for a XD-7 with autowinder + a nice book for 75 euro (that was a bid before I got the X-500).

So I end up with a X-500, an XD-7+winder and a MD-Rokkor 35 & 50mm. I have to let one camera go after testing, this is too much... :-)