Rechargeable battery options for 5600hs?

emaxxman

Well, now that I have my 7d, I'm burning thru AA's like crazy. I know

I can get rechargeable AA's. What other rechargeable options are there?

I know I can get the EP-2 but that just uses AA's.

An ideal solution would be:

- a rechargeable lithium (no memory) pack

- reduces cycle times

- if it's an external pack like the ep-2, it would attach to the

camera via the tripod socket.

Thang- I've shot about 400 pictures using the EP-2 with alkaline batteries in both the flash and EP-2. The EP-2 is a lot better than the older EP-1, which used 8- C cells. And the EP-2 is cheaper than a comparable Quantum unit. I don't use it much, so I appreciate the fact that it uses regular AA's. If I'm not going to use it for a while, I can use the batteries in something else, and then buy new batteries when I do use it.

Since NIMH's have a lower voltage rating, would 4 used in the flash require a longer cycle time? It seems like it would.

It seems like it's the same principle used in r/c cars...where a 4 AA application is required, we tend to solder on a 5th rechargeable to keep the voltage up.

Ivan, it looks like you posted while I was typing my response. I'm curious as to why the nimh recharges the flash faster. Nimh are typically 1.2volts while akalines are 1.5 volts. The higher voltage would recycle the flash faster by delivering the amperage faster to the flash. At least that's the experience I've had with r/c cars.

BTW, both external packs use 6 cells, the EP-1 using C cells and the EP-2 using AA cells. So the supply voltage with the external packs is already higher than with the internal battery compartment. Furthermore, NiMH cells have a lower internal resistance than Alkaline cells, resulting in a shorter reload cycle.

I am wondering if the EP-2 lets you use all ten battery slots at once (the ones in the flash and the ones in the EP-2). I just bought the Quantum Bantam and am considering taking it back unopened to get the EP-2. The problem with the Bantam is that once you use the battery up, your back to just flash batteries. With the EP-2, you could have a spare set.

By the way, I have to concur with previous comment, that the NiMH batteries recycle quicker, at least when they're new. My year old sets are getting slow.

• 1 year later...
I use high capacity NiMh batteries. Don't even bother using alkalines. Although they have a higher no-load voltage, once you put a substantial load on them, such as charging a flash, the voltage drops below the on-load voltage of the NiMh batteries. The result is, that even though you start with higher voltage with alkaline batteries, the higher current capacity of the rechargeables keeps charges the 5600 more times and faster.