DUST SPOTS ON THE 7D SENSOR

anton_nieuwint

For several months I have been getting small circular dark spots in

the sky on pictures taken at F16+ & Shutter speed 1/60.

I have cleaned the sensor in line with the handbook and the camera

has been back to the UK KM Servicing Centre twice within the last 6

weeks for cleaning.

They tell me the sensor is clean but the spots remain but not always

in the same position.

I have changed lenses only once since it was cleaned and the spots

show up when using both lenses.

They show up more in a rich blue sky and when using a circular

polariser.

Has anyone else had this problem and any suggestions how to overcome

it.

I am now concerned that it may not be a dust problem afterall.

Perhaps it is something I will have to live with when working at

F16+ ?

Thanks

AK NIEUWINT

Clean the sensor yourself.

Buy a soft, soft, soft nylon artist's brush from your local hobby store. Clean the brush thoroughly and then start swiping your sensor until dust levels are under control.

Your sensor will never, ever become dust free but the problem can be controlled with brushing/swiping until clean(er).

Personally I never see dust because I sit at f2.8 all day. :)

What differences does it make what aperture the lens is set for, if the dust is on the sensor? To me the dust, or spot, must be in the lens, somewhere before the light passes thru the aperture, more towards the front of the lens. As the aperture is closed down, the depth of field causes the spot to come into focus. Also, as Anton says it occurs more when using a circular polariser, maybe the polarised light reduces the scatter of light passing thru the lens which causes the spot to stand out more.

Too bad I can't edit my post because I have something to add. I don't think you're ever going to get rid of all the dust. Working at tiny apertures you'll see some most of the time. As far as I can tell, it's just the way it is. But if someone has better advice, I'd like to hear it because sometimes it can be a pain in the ass to photoshop out.

I'm not much of a technical photographer so I can't explain this either, but polarizers seem to make it worse. Seems like any kind of anomoly sticks out when its against a dark blue. Noise is even worse in blue. I think that must have something to do with it. Anyway, I had this problem printing negatives, too. The slightest speck of dust on a neg will be very noticeable in the sky, especially when you used a polarizer.

The dust is likely on the cover glass of the sensor. So it is

a small distance above the actual pixels. When shooting wide open

the light comes from a big source so the dust speck only blocks

some of the light. Stop down to f16 and the light source is much

smaller, so the dust speck blocks most or all of the light reaching

a pixel.

You can see this effect by making a shadow with your finger by

holding it an inch or two above a table. If the overhead lights

are fluorescent tubes (a big source) the shadow will be not very

dark. But if the overhead lights are small pot lights then you will

have a very sharp shadow that is quite dark in the center.

Greg

<< Buy a soft, soft, soft nylon artist's brush from your local hobby store >>

An artist's brush may look like the same brush that VisibleDust sells but they're not the same and they don't behave the same way. Get yourself a proper sensor cleaning tool.

As far as sensor dust is concerned I found out that the best solution (by far) is to use

those "sensor swabs" with eclipse cleaning fluid.

http://www.photosol.com/swabproduct.htm

Ok it's not cheap. However, you should not follow the vendor's advice and throw away

every swab after one single use. My experience is that they're 4-5 times reusable without

loss of efficiency. So a box of 12 will cover all your DSLR's life.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Do not take dust on the sensor as an answer.I had same problem with my camera.For the first time when I send my camera for the rapair I was told it is a dust problem and same sensor cleaning will solve this--wrong!!!!I was sending the camera for rapair couple times finaly they told me there must be something wrong with my lenses and I was asked to send the lenses with camera body so they can find wher the problem is,in a week I had body and lenses back with a letter-same lens cleaning was done and everithing is OK-it did not help.I asked for replacing camera---I had new body with same problem and it hapend two more times now I do not have camera but got my money back,Iwas told it may be the problem camera was bilt with they can not send my another body because all of the cameras send to US have same problem and they need to spoke about this issue whit KonicaMinolta in Japan.good luck and Iam sorry for my english I did my best