Still no wide for 7D

lunatech

I've been lurking here for about a month since picking up the 7D. Having gone through the "how the heck do I get a decent WA for the 7D" search process, I was glad to find the Tamron/KM upcoming release. But, yes, like you, Michael, I'm finding the wait for a WA lens to be somewhat of a pain, since our Canon/Nikon peers have been able to arm up with more than 1-2 options for some time now.

It's funny, because one photographer I spoke to after making my 7D purchase mentioned equipment availability as a benefit for Canon/Nikon users. Having been an ex-Canon user, it never occurred to me that I'd be scrounging for equipment, esp. the distinct lack of lens/accessories rentals. Good thing I don't do this for a living! ;-)

BTW, does anyone know if there will be any difference, aside from price, between the Tamron lens and the KM lens. They appear to be identical -- not that I've seen one in person, of course. ;-)

The latest from Minolta Japan is that the 11-18mm will start shipping Sept. 9. In tests that I have read there is differences between Tamron and Minolta lenses but nothing indicates a trend that one is better than the other. The differences are more likely due to the individuality of each lens.

Is that only for Japan, Ralph? I heard of many instances of Japanese releases for the home market only, the rest of wait months. I hope this isn't the case here! (And I worry about the price premium between an aftermarket brand and the KM).

And I hear you, Harris, about the disadvantages of not having the lead brands (Canon/Nikon). The store I bought my 7D from is no longer selling KM...not enough sales according to the salesguy. Haven't seen too much advertising either from KM, makes you wonder if they really want to be in the market.

I didn't ascertain the geographical shipping target(s) on Sept. 9. I may or may not get a 11-18 (I dislike the post processing involved to correct distortion in these type of lenses). I am more inclined to wait a bit because I think that KM will come out with either a full frame or near full frame sensor in the next 18 months or less, thus making my existing lenses more than adequate for my needs.

Michael, that happened with a major store here in SF as well. Calumet evidently was a KM dealer, but when I recently called to inquire about lens rentals, they informed me that they stopped carrying KM for exactly the same reasons the sales guy told you -- lackluster sales.

Hopefully, with this fantastic Maxxum xD dSLR series, they can muster some semblance of market presence in the shadow of the two giants. Of course, I'm not holding my breath either. Either way, the 7D has brought me back to enjoying photography even more than when I left the film SLR world a few years back.

Well, I see why Minolta will never do well here in Canada...seems like they didn't want to succeed, they are liquidating their Canadian unit:

<a href="http://www.dpreview.com/news/0509/05090701km_liquidate.asp">www.dpreview.com/news/0509/05090701km_liquidate.asp</a>.

Might not matter much, I decided not to buy any equipment here anyway, prices in Canada are unreasonable compared to the States. Sure hope service doesn't become a problem though, or future compatable lenses and such. No fun being an orphan! The 7D made me love photography all over again too.