Aerial pics from a kite

www.mas-arriba.com

Thanks to all for your interest.

The camera is a minolta A1, with the 28-200 mm standard lens. Yes indeed, it was cropped. Altitude was about 300 yards.

I have a very basic rig made of aluminium, rotating in both axis with manual screws. I am a total idiot when it comes to manual work, it works fine from scratch, and the total cost was 9 dollars...

The string (300 pounds) costs another 50 USD.

The pic that you saw comes from this system. Important : the camera should have an intervalometer setting...

I have a much more complicated rig (remote controlled from the ground) with lots of batteries on board... Cost about 300 dollars. Plus some UHF video downlink which I tried and which was a waste of money.

I would say the most important are :

- the reliability of the kite, especially in strong winds

- the sensitivity of the camera to sand / salt, mud, etc...

Here is another pic. Notice some lack of sharpness as the exposition was a bit longer. This is due to the string vibrating between the kite and the ground. I am working on decreasing these vibrations which could do some arm to the camera on the long term. I already have anough problem with the condensation...<div>00DQx7-25480484.jpg.9e8810edbc2382879917748fe17c42ff.jpg</div>

Sorry, I could not resist... Stupid french sense of humour that I have... That was obviously a satellite pic from Nasa World Wind :-)

Here is another one so you may forgive me...

More seriously, I think more people should play with this very nice hobby. It is a lot of fun, and not so expensive. Clever people may even make some money from real estate agents....

This is one interesting thread! I always wondered about attaching my camera to a model airplane (I strongly suspect that attaching it to a kite would end in disaster), but was afraid to. Now I see that there's someone who actually did something similar, and my optimism is restored. I love aerial photographs, but the last time I took photographs from an ultralight airplane the results were terrible - which reminds me that I learned the hard way that you shouldn't use polarizers when shooting through plastic windows. Thanks for the pics and the idea Philippe!

Very neat. I'm a big fan of kite/balloon/model plane/whatever-you-can-get-a-camera-airborne-with-type-photography.

Your DIY rig (aren't most DIY? :) looks pretty interesting.

I look forward to seeing more kite photos in your folders :)