Too many SRT's??

s_pence

Richard - KM also appear to be sponsoring World Superbikes (or some such) not sure as to it's worth but still it is something. I hope you are right about KM but they do seem to be having problems digesting the "amalgamation".

Clinton - how big is your TV screen ?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clinton, you continue to miss the point. I am highly versed in the capabilities of digital imaging. My job in the recent past has actually involved marketing the underlying technology of digital imaging. But I also participate in the hobby of photography because it provides me with emotional satisfaction. And manipulating an image digitally does not provide this for me. Getting my mechanical, manually adjustable camera to produce the results I want by virtue of my understanding of the principles of lighting, composition, and optics, DOES provide this type of emotional gratification.

As long as photography is pursued as an avocation for it's own sake, and not merely as a means to an end, there will be a desire for these types of older precision film cameras and the film and processing technology that they use.

Clinton, I do have a recharger. Quit assuming we are all idiots! I guarantee that I can do ANYTHING you can do digitally! What you don't seem to get is that some of us CHOOSE to use film, and that my friend is none of your business. You loose all credibilty when you resort to personal attacks (for example calling me a "Bad Shopper") You don't know me. I don't recall personally attacking you. Discussing ideas is one thing, attacking people is another.

Douglas, I think your picture is awesome! Good on you!

And good on you Ms Pence for keeping your cool in the face of all that pointless sniping from our resident digital obsessive. I share your concerns over the durability of new digital cameras, and I purely admire the SRT series bodies. I prefer the XD as a user but the SRT really oozes solidity and quality. So you're not crazy, and to answer your question, too many SRTs would be a very large number indeed.

There is never too many SRTs. The fact that you can use them without batteries is a big bonus. You can find always many good uses for those 'obsolete' technology tomorrow (when film has undergone a post-mortem):paperweights, separators in bookshelves, etc.

Clinton's religious-like preaching on digital makes me sick. Enough is enough man. It reminds me of the guys knocking on my door saturday mornings or my friend trying to convince me to selling my 1964 VW german beetle just because it is old. :)

I keep telling you folks that I am not anti-film, that I still shot pictures with my Maxxum 9. However, I can see the writing on the wall. All I've said that raised all this fuss was that 'film is dying', but there are many people on this board who refuse to face the facts. They keep stating things about digital that may have true some time ago, but not true now. Look at S Pence's remark that "Printer ink and glossy paper are outrageous." and "Digital photography is expensive." They don't look at the ads every week for photo inkjet paper like '2 for 1' specials, which you don't see with photo paper.

They keep writing that film isn't dying because 'they' use it. How many Minolta users here are using equipment that has been discontinued 25-30 years ago?

It is not I, that is the FANATIC. It's all you people that refuse to face the facts.

Clinton: I do know it's a tourist shot... i was thwe tourist and the subject of the shot is a castle wall (dadah!). If digital cameras can be used the way i used this film camera until now... well! That is something, i must admite... but my dynax costed 285? with the 28-100 and the 75-300mm lenses... the dynax 7D costs over 1250? body only! Even the Canon 350D/Rebel costs 1000? with a 18-55mm. That is 700? diference between the dynax 60 and the 350D! For me, it's money!... maybe for you it's peanuts. Who knows?

Do you see something wrong in 30+ years old cameras? I don't, and most people around here don't see anything wrong in it! I believe they see something right! Because NO digital camera will come near that! They are good today and crap tomorrow when a new model appear in the market.

Facts you say? What facts?! All this "conversation" started with YOU saying something about a RUMOR if i recall.

RWallace

Richard- I didn't start with a rumor. The rumor I wrote about, and you refer to, was due to a conversation I had with my friend who manages a Ritz camera store. I asked him what was new. He replied that the rumor was that Kodak will discontinue processing of slide film.

Prior to that, I posted about my conversations with the Fuji people in my area, a conversation with a master distributor of Kodak, and of what not only my manager friend, but another friend who owns a camera store (and owns the 9Ti), and clerks at a major drugstore chain have told me. In addition, I've talked to several professional photographers, two shoots wedding, another two shoot fot news publications, and I've talked to my camera rep friends from KonicaMinolta, Canon, Olympus, and Pentax, as well as the Konica distributor in my area (sorry, the Nikon rep doesn't come to town very often, so I've never met him). Also, I add to that what Popular Photography writes about. Lastly, I wrote about my personal experience.

All of the signs are that film is dying.

Everyone else on this subject have only posted from their own preference of using film. That's fine, but for them to state that film is not dying is naive. I still shot film, but know the future is in digital.

MODUS OPERANDI

Start a new thread or respond to an existing one with "outrageous" or "controversial" comments or rumours or "facts".

If tackled on the points made with valid points in return, ignore them and hope they will go away.

If pressed again go off at a tangent or change the subject entirely and try to get everyone to follow the new hare.

If this does not work or things are flagging start a bit of mild abuse or personal attack to elicit further response.

At some stage claim to be a "visionary" who sees the situation as it "really is" or try and take the moral high ground by saving the environment.

If all else fails try to engage the posters on a personal basis.

Does all this sound familiar ? Check out a thread close to this one entitled "More, more reasons why film is dying". To repeat myself we are "wasting our sweetness on the desert air" or "bashing our heads against the wall"

( On a happy note I would second Richard's point about visiting Portugal, and it offers much in addition to photographic opportunities, we try to get there at least once a year.)

I have an SRT-201 since new. A terrific camera. Too bad this string went on a digital tangent. ( A moderator needed?) I was just recently leveraging for some additional forums for the pre-digital camera folks because of the entertainment value of the mechanical units and the great pictures they can take. I would be fun if the folks that are enjoying their units would also post some sample images in the forums...non rating and non-competitive.

John Falkenstine- This string went off on a 'digital' tangent because the original post by S Pence brung up several questions or comments about digital cameras.

You might want to try and read the original post. The subject line: "Too many SRT's??" was just a cover to bash digital cameras.

Bill- I'm still waiting for my friend and his 9Ti.

Oh, and isn't interesting that you use 'obrigado' which I believe is Portugese for 'thank you'. In Japanese, 'thank you' is pronouced 'arigato'. This shows that there must be some connection between the two languages.

Why wait for the 9Ti, after all film is dying and the sooner you really get to grips with digital the sooner you will really enjoy all it's benefits. Do not forget that the 9 will soon have no resale value so pass it on now to make it a really meaningful gift.

Tactic 6 in use.

I also use 675 hearing aid batteries in old cameras. I find that at 1.4 volts instead of 1.35 volts, they are exactly 1 stop off. If I am shooting 400 speed film I set the ASA dial at 200. The only problem is that once you peel off the seals, the hearing aid batteries only last a few months. The MR-9 adapter from C.R.I.S. lasts indefinitely and allows you to use either MS-76 batteries or the V386 watch batteries. It converts the voltage to the 1.35 you need. The MS-76 cells are slightly thicker than the 386 cells and may cause the battery cover to stick out just a little. With either battery and the MR-9, the cells last a long time.

Hoe many bodies are too many? I have ten Canon FD mechanical bodies. Of that number, five have been overhauled. The overhauled ones are two F-1s, an FT QL, an FTbN and a TX. The ones not yet overhauled are another FTbN, an FX, another FT QL and two TL QLs. With the exception of the extra FTbN, the un-overhauled bodies all seem to work. I don't know whether I will ever have them all overhauled. The ones you enjoy using most should be overhauled so you can rely on them and get consistent results. In the Canon line the FT QL and the F-1 are my favorites. I have two working Minolta X-700s, a working and overhauled SRT-101 (chrome shutter speed dial) and an STR-102 which needs to be overhauled. I am also tempted by the low prices of SRT series bodies but after my Canon experience, I don't know if I need ten of them.

Clinton: No, as a matter of fact, there is no relation between both languages. If you would care to check in books about the subject you'd know and would not need to make that statement (just a simple world map would do). Portuguese is a Latin language, and Latin was the language of ancient Rome, way off from China in the East as you can probably see. The only connection the two countries had was a lot later in history, when Portugal went on discovering the world and reached India, and some time later China. The communion between the two countries was visible in Macau, a Portuguese territory until the year 2000.

John: I'll post pictures taken with my srt as soon as they come from developement.

Bill: You're most welcome.

Bill- Guess you never heard of the Tower of Babel. And here's another coincidence- in Italian, and other Latin languages, 'papa' means father. The word 'papa' also means father in the Hawaiian language, which like Japanese has no 'connection' to Latin.