recommend skyfilter for 35mm 1.4 G lens

rob_zukowski

rob- If you don't put a skylight or UV filter on ALL your lens, you're asking for trouble. A skylight or UV is cheap insurance for protection of your front element, which is the largest and most expensive piece of glass in your lens. If you get a piece of dirt on your front element and improperly clean it, you could scratch the element. Or, if you over clean it you could damage the coating. The filter will help reduce the number of time you clean the front element. Also, should you somehow accidently bump the front element, a filter might be enough to prevent damage to the front element. I've seen cases where the filter was cracked by impact. Imagine if it were your front element. And a front filter can help shield the rest of the lens from splashed water. Unless you have more money than you know what to do with and don't mind replacing an expensive lens, put a filter on it.

As to which brand, to me it's not really important, as long as it's a name brand. I can't imagine that you would buy an expensive lens and then cheap-out on spending a few dollars more to protect it.

The lens hood is helpful when the sun, or light, is at an angle that can cause flare. Plus it does help prevent stray fingers from touching your filter, or front element (if you ignore my advice).

A lens hood will improve your pictures and protect your lens. A lens cap will protect your lens. A filter will slightly protect your lens but degrade your pictures. I've never used protective filters over 25 years and have never damaged a lens. I've got about 30 lenses, so that would be a lot of money wasted on protection I don't need or want. You could buy another lens with the money saved!

Rob, the previous two answers pretty much sum up the issue :) It's an age-old debate and there's absolutely no concensus among amateurs or pros. *IF* you opt to use a filter, buy a "multicoated" one. A filter will cause you no problems most of the time, minimal problems now & again (in the form of flare) and, in the case of a non-multi-coated filter, can ruin an image every great once in a while (it's entirely dependent on lighting conditions). I don't know if the 35/1.4 needs a "slim" filter to avoid vignetting, but if you're going to keep a filter on all the time, you'll want one that accomodates the lens cap, of course. And the lens shade is your best friend, whether you use a filter or not, for preventing or reducing flare and for protecting the lens against bumps. I use mine always, indoors & out ... it takes a split second to flip the bayonet mount shades (on most of my lenses) around when I get my camera ready to shoot.

Personally, I don't use protective filters most of the time. I carry them with me and use them mostly when shooting by the sea. (My lenses include the 17-35G, 200G, 50, 100 & 200mm macro lenses). For what it's worth, I have a rider on our home owners insurance policy that covers my camera gear, and I have used it to replace a body and lenses that were damaged in an accident a couple years back. I've damaged gear on three separate occasions over the years, but never harmed a front element :)

I guess I just wouldn't sweat it too much ... if you're concerned about damage that you think a filter will prevent, just get a good one. Minolta brand or Hoya SMC are multicoated filters that are reasonably priced. Put it on, use your shade, and you'll be fine ... pay attention to lighting that could be problematic and pay special attention to the image in the viewfinder - flare often doesn't appear as traditional "flare spots" but as an overall reduction in contrast in the image. If you suspect that you may be getting some flare, try shading the lens with your hand - if that makes it "better", then either shoot that way (assuming your hand isn't causing vignetting !) or remove the filter for the shot.

- Dennis

I would say that you should avoid using protective filters unless there is the need for it, and personally, there isn't. Putting a cheap plastic filter infront of your sometimes very expensive lens will only degrade your image, and good quality filters can be quite expensive. Though such a filter may protect the front element against minor insults, in an event the filter gets cracked, the lens will likely get hit too. Besides, when shooting outside your're likely to use an array of different filters from polarizers to ND filters, and putting another filter on top of that is asking for trouble (image quality wise). I would recomend that you use the lens hood, and put on the lens cap whenever you're not shooting, as this will put the chance of the lens getting accidentaly damaged close to zero. If you are still worried abou the safety of your lens then invest money into a good quality glass filter.

If you shell out the big bucks for a 35/1.4 G lens, you either should put a very very good top class filter on it or don't put a filter at all. Otherwise, why wouldn't you use the cheapest consumer zoom at 1/4 price of a good filter, instead of the G?

I agree with Csab. You should put a filter on the lens to protect it, but if you shelled out that much cash for the lens, get the best filter you can.

As for skylight v. UV, I prefer UV, the skylight adds a sort of warming element I personally do not like. Personal opinion, others may, and I am sure will, differ.