can the maxxum 3 be tricked into apeture priority mode?

jon_sak

I just got a maxxum 3 for $0 and wanted to play around with it, but

its program mode only. I was thinking though, are thier any work

arounds or ways to trick the maxxum 3 to do program shift or apeture

priority modes? What if I use the maxxum to MD/MC convertor what

will happen? I know the MD/MC convertor is not a great performer,

but I have a full range on MD/MC so the cost to me is VERY low to

try it out.

If you use the Minolta converter, it will multiple the focal length by a factor of two. There are no linkage between the Maxxum body and the MC/MD lens, so the aperture would be always be in a shut-down mode and the viewfinder will get dark at smaller apertures. I was given one free when a camera store closed down, but have never used it.

The best you can do is use the subject program modes. For example, the sports mode will give emphasis to shorter exposure times, and the landscape mode will give emphasis to depper DOF. With the adapter, exposure will likely be incorrect. The camera doesn't know the aperture automatically, and you have no way to tell it manually.

As Michael said, the best way is to use the subject programs. I gave one 300si (similar to M 3) to my father and it does the job playing around with the programs. I gives also the advantage of using a sharp 50mm f1.7 with such a light way as an alternative to a point and shoot compact. You can also use a bigger flash gun when you need it.