which is better Canadian or German

felix_erazo

The cheaper one..... Lenses made in both countries undergo the SAME quality control process. This German/Canada thing is just some salesman's pitch to get more of your money. I buy lenses based upon focal length and f/ stop, not where they are made. The lenses, I use most frequently, either M or R are Canadian.

Happy Snaps,

This question comes up from time to time when you have lenses of the same type that were made in both locations. My stock answer is that Leica is Leica, wherever the lenses are made. Only the most recent 90/2 pre-ASPH lenses were made in Germany (Solms), so the German ones would probably be newer. The earlier pre-ASPH lenses were all made in Canada.

The best lens is the one you have! You can usually buy a Canada lens a bit cheaper, but the only difference is the engraving on the front ring. A few lenses were mostly or completely produced in Canada. Most were made both places, but not always at the same time. The machinery was moved along with production. The Leitz plant in Midland, Ontario is now Elcan, they still make lenses, do a lot of work for fussy clients like the U.S. Air Force and NASA. In fact there are some lenses, different than what was made for civilians by Leitz/Leica, that were made in Leica M mount and marked "Elcan" on the front ring. If you know your prices and can buy a Wetzlar lens cheap sell it for what it's worth and get a Canada lens. Your film won't know the difference!

i don't wantto open a can of worms, but the fact is that elcan has had well documented QC problems over the years. a big part of the delay in getting the 90 apo asph out in sufficient quantity was qc problems in canada i believe. no question that elcan made high quality products, and arguably saved the company by taking over m production in the 70s, but the fact is that there have been qc probs in canada over th years as i understand it.

OTOH,

I met these wonderful German women while rockclimbing in Yosemite several years ago. And let's not forget the Americans, Mexicans, and Indian (from India) women who are so wonderful. I guess no one group of women is better than others. I wonder if that goes for Leica lenses too?

A 1982 vintage 90/2.0 Summicron (5-elements) at that time was only made in Canada. Later, there may be some made in Germany. In the year 1982, the M production was as follows:

CANADA ONLY

21/2.8 E, 28/2.8 E, 35/2.0 cron, 35/1.4 lux, 50/2.0 cron, 50/1.0 Nocti, 75/1.4 lux, 90/2.0 cron, 90/2.8 TE, 135/2.8 E

WETZLAR ONLY

50/1.4 lux, 135/4.0 TE

Why were those two lens in particular made in Germany, while all others were made exclusively in Canada at that particular time? I don't know.

I myself have pondered this issue, as we all want to get the best value for our money, and the best in image quality; Thru various emails I learned that once per year, a special production mfg. run , which meets the highest standards,is run, and the lenses are labeled " cangerm" which are insider collector special editions. I have bought 5 so far, and they are all truly special optical lenses.

my 35 , 50, 90 are all Canadian...I have shot the German ones too and

notices NO difference. and the Canadian ones were less expensice. So I

say which ever one you choose just pick the cleanest one for the best

price and don't worry about where it was made.... cheers. Ma