Anyone using a Tamron SP AF 90mm Macro on a Maxxum?

mike_l1

Hi everybody! I'm trying to decied between Tamron SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Di

Macro and the minolta AF D 100mm f/2.8 macro for the maxxum7/9. I've

read good reviews compairing the Tamron Macro to a Canon and Nikon

equivalent. I just haven't seen anything comparing it to the minolta.

Anyone have an opinon on this? Is it worth paying the extra $100(US)

for the minolta lens?

Excellent lens, great bokeh, can be used for portraiture. I borrowed

one for a while but wasn't able to compare the Minolta 100/2.8 macro.

Tamron Di reportedly supports Minolta ADI. If you get a D7, note

that the Tamron's effective 135mm focal length might be more useful

than the Minolta's effective 150mm focal length.

There's a website out there (I'd post the url but I don't have it) where they showed comparison pics btwn the SP 90 and other macros, including the Maxxum 100/2.8. I couldn't tell the diff. btwn the Tamron and Minolta lenses. They both scored near or at the top. I would take whichever is cheapest, unless you also need 55mm filter compatibility (don't know what the Tamron's filter dia. is).

BTW, I have the 100/2.8 macro and like it a lot.

Larry

You couldn't go wrong with either the Minolta or the Tamron.

I have the slightly older first generation Tamron SP (not the Di). It is a superb lens and I would recommend it highly to anyone looking for a macro. The lens is compact, lightweight --and most importantly to me-- is very smooth when manually focusing. Image quality is excellent. The push/pull focusing clutch on the Tamron that disengages the focusing ring from turning in AF is also a nice feature. No lens compatibility issues (I've heard of some Sigma lenses being problematic) either. Again, I am basing this on my older version of the lens. I would assume the Di is the same lens with distance encoding built in for the newer Minolta cameras. As for the difference in price, I doubt any of us could be of any real help to you there. I would, however, suggest you get a RC-1000S remote cord for the triggering the shutter, a VERY useful accessory for macro with a tripod mounted camera.

I have the so-called legendary Minolta 100/2 lens. And I can only say that the sharpness is uncomparable (as tests also indicate). On top of that the lens is very compact and has the F/2! You would lose the macro capability, though.

On a 7D this would lead to a 150/2 lens. Certainly no useless lens, in my opinion!

But, I guess that you can't go wrong with either of these three lenses. Just buy the cheapest!

Thanks for all the responses. It sound's like i'm going to lean for the Tamron Di...I just finished reading Paul Davies "The complete guide to close-up and macro photography" and in this book he also praises older Tamron SP. Although if I come across the 100mm minolta macro for about the same price I think I will lean toward the minolta.

I had to make the same agonizing decision about six months ago and ultimately went with the Minolta 100mm f/2.8 Macro. I have been extremely pleased with the the lens. It's the sharpest I own, even sharper then my 50mm f/1.7. Though from my research, I'm sure I'd have been just as pleased with the Tamron 90 SP.