joakim_gleisner

On the advice of some members of this forum I recently ordered a

Minolta XD camera from KEH. Today it arrived, and while it seems

great in every other respect, I noticed it has terrible shutter lag

(around 200-300ms). Does anyone know if this is normal for this

model, or does it need servicing? Unfortunately, sending the camera

back is not an option, since the shipping would probably cost more

than the camera itself.

I ordered an XD-11 body from KEH some months ago. I ended up returning it for a refund because the focusing screen was badly scratched. While I had it, I did notice a particularly long shutter lag, as you describe. My X-700 is nearly instantaneous; the XD-11 felt like an autofocus camera.

Unless we got the same exact body (which is possible!), your sample size is now 2. :-)

BTW, I have seen posts (search on Google and Google News to find them) about this shutter being slower in the XD series than in the XE, due to the additional shutter priority mode. This seems plausible, but I have no way to verify it.

Hi Joakim,

The lag you describe is not normal, but is due to a problem with the mirror dampner (I think that is what it is called). This is not the front mirror foam, but another part. I am no technician so I am sorry I cant be more precise. A service will fix the problem. Make sure you mention it to the tech.

Thanks for the replies. I've now examined the camera a bit more, and what happens is that a small lever near the bottom of the lens mount (presumably there to stop down the lens before the shutter fires) moves for about a quarter of a second before the picture is taken. This results in a very noticable ka-chunk sound at faster shutter speeds (where the "ka" is the lever moving and the "chunk" is the mirror going up and then coming down). At slower speeds you get more of a ka-click-chunk sound, since you can hear the mirror going up as a separate sound.

All other film cameras I've tried or used, including my old SRT-101, have been near instantaneous when pressing the shutter. The XD-5 feels more akin to the cheaper digicams, which can't be right for such a well-made camera.

I have had two XD's over the years, the first was quite fast to respond until it gave up the ghost. The second body behaves in the way you describe, due presumably to the damping system gumming up. Unless you want to take action / sports pictures - which might not be a priority for a manual camera - this should not affect the timing of the shutter itself or the quality of the pictures.

I've had two excellent condition XD's for about two years now with no problems with shutter lag. I agree it's probably the mirror return than the shutter. You can test this with the back open. What condition (KEH's designation) did you buy? If it's "bargain" or thereabouts, it's probably understandable since they're saying it's not in top condition and may have wear and tear.

That said I can compare them because I recently bought a brand new XD (in the box too) from a collector. It's never been used, and interesting because it's almost silent. They made a great camera, and this one will see many a day in the field for years to come.

--Scott--

Well, that's what I find a bit annoying; according to KEH the camera is in excellent condition.

It is also interesting to hear that your "new" XD is very quiet. Even if I disregard the shutter delay (which, I agree, does not seem to affect the shutter speeds), there is a lot of noice and vibrations when the mirror returns. I wonder if that, too, could be fixed by a skilled camera repair person.

• 19 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/3/2023 at 9:36 PM, c_watson1 said:

It is an issue in that it shows an embarrassing lack of site traffic.

Too true. I haven't checked PN for about 6 months, and in that time I can count the number of new threads without taking my shoes and socks off. 

It also beats me how a film-camera query posted before the site re-vamp gets resurrected into a purportedly "mirrorless digital cameras" forum 

Edited by rodeo_joe1

Amen. We've had our differences--especially about those lovely Mamiya 645s--but we both lament the decline in relevant posts and the revival of stone cold dead posts. Monthly check-in here for me. Wonder why bother often.