Lens and Filter Sizes

richard_twomey

I recently bought a Dynax/Maxxum 5 and now I want to buy some filters.

It came with a 28-80mm lens which takes a 55mm filter. I plan on

buying a few more lenses over the next few months and they seem to

have differing sizes for filters. I was wondering what is the best and

most cost effective system for my situation. I was also wondering what

a "D" lens is, I've seen this crop up a few time with Minolta and

Nikon lenses but never knew what it meant, any ideas?

I'm just in the same situation as you. I bought a Dynax5 a week ago and still can't shoot a single roll because of the very bad weather :) Congratulations, we have now a common interest :)

Regarding your questions:

- I have the 28-100mm lens which has also 55mm and I'm looking for a UV filter..though there are many voices that say UV filters (or Skylight 1A or even 1B) are just for the lens protection, and it don't make sense to put another glass in front of a lens that is already doing a good job in blocking UV rays

- my advice..buy first the lenses that you need and ther (or together) buy the filter..or if you indent to buy let's say four lenses with four different threads, just forget about UV filters..that's of course if you aren't talking about other filters like polarizers or color filters

- other option is to buy some adapters (I've never used, but I know they exists) that steps down or up the thread diameter, let's say from 55mm to 52mm, and that way you can use one size filter to lenses of different sizes

- the "D" type lenses of any brand means that 'distance' to the subject (focused on) is sent to the camera's computer and used to make more exact calculation..especially when using flash..in order to precisely set the flash power (or f-stop)..mostly every new lens is offering this "D" feature

Hope this helps..cheers,

Codz

Rich,

Congratulations on your new camera. I too have a Maxxum 5. I�ve had it for almost 2 years now. I started with the (D series) 28-80mm zoom lens that came with the kit. It�s a pretty good lens. If you�ve just stepped up from a point & shoot you�ll really see the difference. My advice will differ from Codrut. I�m going to suggest you buy a UV filter for your lens. It not only protects the lens from fingers, scratches, and dirt/dust but if you take an outside picture both with and without it on you should see a difference. That said before I knew anything about photography (up until this July) I didn�t have any filters on my kit lens and only used the lens cap for protection. I was extremely careful anyhow and nothing happened to my lens. Not until I purchased my big Sigma 28-200mm zoom lens did I buy a UV filter for it. That lens is another story. But also purchased a fixed 50mm Minolta lens and have purchased filters for it. It uses 49mm filters, which I purchased off E-bay. I would recommend you look at Hoya filters both UV and polarizing. They offer the best �bang for your buck� and they have three levels. Green is entry, blue or Gray are mid, and black Multi Coated are top of the line. I�d go with the green or mid levels to start with. This is a great site and you�ll receive a lot of great advice. Good luck!

I'm not against UV filters, I use it myself and saw the difference, but reading about filters, many pro's names this filter a 'glass' good only for protection. And some other more radical people says 'why put a 20$ glass to tamper the quality of a 1ooo$ lens.

I say, this is for sure, a filter protects from scrathes and dust the lens, which most of the time is a pretty big investment. And if you're not one of those radicals, you will see some improvement in outdoor, beach and mountain especially, in your pictures with an UV filter.

Where can we see some 'with UV' and 'without UV' picture examples?

If you look at the lens options, the commonest filter sizes for Maxxum lenses are 55 and 72 mm. I think you could build a very versatile arsenal of lenses using only 55 mm (I have, and I exhibit and sell my landscapes) with a 55-49 adapter so you can fit 55 mm filters on your 50/1.7 and 28/2.8.

You're probably right, Michael. I'm interested in a Sigma 70-300mm lens which uses a 58mm fitting! I think I better stick to Minolta glass. A 75-300mm and a 55mm are up next. Is the Minolta 55m 1.4f much better than the 55mm 1.7f? Also, I really want a polarizing lens, from what I can tell some of them let you adjust it's effect. Which type allow you to do this? Hope that didn't sound too stupid!

All polarizers allow you to adjust for the degree of polarizing effect you would like to achieve. The two basic types are linear polarizers and circular polarizers. Linear polarizers can interfere with the proper functioning of your auto focus, so AF cameras need circular polarizers, which are slightly more expensive. Manual focus Minolta users can use linear polarizers without any disadvantage, but some light meters of other manufacturer's manual focus cameras can also be affected by linear polarizers but not by circular polarizers.

Hello,

Just a thought. I have found, especially with lens in which the front element is very far forward, that a multicoated filter produces a better image in terms of flair and ghosting. They cost a little more but seem worth it. Hoya green are not coated and seem to have a green color cast, blue are single coated on each surface and often called double coated, and multi coated have three or more layers on each surface. Multicoats do tend to be a bear to clean though.

Alan