Use Tamron 70-300 VC with Flash

rf1

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>I picked up a Tamron 70-300 VC lens and plan to use this for some indoor shots. I know it's not an F2.8 lens. However, the lens fits within the budget. Would I be able to use this lens with a Nikon SB700 flash? If yes, what settings do you recommend?</p>

The Tamron isn't a very close focussing lens, and

furthermore its image quality drops off quite a lot at minimum distance. It wouldn't be my first choice as a portrait or indoor event lens. For distance use (>3 metres) it's excellent. That's what it was designed for.

If you're going to use the flash direct and on camera (yuk!) there may be an issue with the lens obscuring part of the flash coverage, since it's quite a long lens when zoomed to 300mm.

For casual and occasional use it could be pressed into service as a portrait lens I suppose, but if you plan on covering weddings or the like for pay, then think again. A 70-200mm fast zoom is the tool for that job.

As for settings: Bounce the flash and stop the lens down to f/8 for acceptable quality at close distances.

<p>I am covering a couple of social events and want to get in close. Not necessarily portraits but just close without literally being in the speakers faces I also want to capture guests as they socialize, etc. Nothing for pay but just casual events. I do have a 17-50 F2.8 which i will utilize for more formal portraits of guests. I will certainly bounce the flash, I use a Demb Flip-it. </p>